From Ny To Va To Mississippi Oh My!

Decorating By yummy Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 6:24pm by yummy

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 10

First I want to say, that a lot of times when I want to post a question I log on and someone has had the same question and I usually get my answer from that post. I just came on and I see someone has asked a shipping a cake question but mine is about delivering a cake in a car not shipping.

So a friend of mine last night told me his sister is throwing a party for their father in Mississippi at the end of August. My friend is a big fan of what I'm trying to do and supports me fully. He has seen my cakes but never tasted them. He's coming to see me ithe second week in Aug. and I'll have some flavors in my freezer (he can't wait to taste them). If it was at all possible for me to get my cakes to Miss., he would ask me to do it and tell his family that he would bring the cake. I live in NY he lives in VA; he has adult kids who also live in NY. He may or may not be in NY at the end of Aug. and his kids may or may not drive to Miss. for the party.

Although I haven't been asked, this a major distance for a cake to travel. I want to know this far in advance so I can have enough time to plan it out to guarentee a successful delivery (just in case I'm asked of course).

I already know about the sps, but what else should I do with the cake to make it stable enough for the long drive? I haven't done a cake in fondant yet so I'll need to practice that; so I'm not sure if the cake will be fondant or bc but it will definitely have fondant accents and a gumpaste topper on wires. I know that a lot of you freeze cakes with fondant or accents, when letting the cake come to room temp. does the colors bleed? I also need info on what needs to be done in the car. TIA!

9 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 10

You want a cake muggle to drive a cake from ny to mississippi, at the end of august??? Did i read that right??

If it were winter i would say no problem, but this is what i can see happening. They stop for food and the cake gets left in the car, then they stop for the night (i'm thinking this would be a two day trip for most) and the cake gets left in the car. Seems like this is a recipe for disaster. I just for see a very large meltdown.

lissergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissergirl Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 10

I LIVE in Mississippi and I don't even stop for GAS with a cake in the car down here in the summer. I seriously don't think buttercream could withstand the trip. Fondant, maybe, but he would have to take that cake everywhere with him until he got home - and the party would have to be that day, or it wouldn't be fresh.

I know Sylvia Weinstock has flown cakes down here, but she or one of her people ALWAYS travels with the cake (I think FedEx does her shipping if I remember correctly). I don't know what his budget looks like, but perhaps you could fly down with the cake.

Good luck, dear! If you decide to try it, I hope you'll let us know how it turns out. You are brave for entertaining the idea!

yummy Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 10

LMAO at your shock. I know , I know but like I said, I haven't been asked. When he comes in mid Aug. and likes what he tastes he would ask (not knowing that the weather and the distance is not a good move for a cake). I just want to be prepared and see what or if there's any possibilities. The two weeks between his visit and the party wouldn't give me enough time to analyze or worry about it. There's no doubt that I would be using Indydebi's bc since it stands up to high heat and humidity and he has ac in the car.

yummy Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 10

I forgot to say maybe multiple drivers (if the kids go) but he usually makes that trip in one day.

yummy Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 10

Lissergirl, what part of Miss, do you live?

lissergirl Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:36am
post #7 of 10

I live in central MS, just south of Jackson.

lissergirl Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:45am
post #8 of 10

I live in central MS, just south of Jackson.

I hate to admit it, but I haven't been able to try IndyDeby's bc yet. I have the recipe ready if I can ever get my hands on some of that Dream Whip. I just can't seem to find it down here. But boy if I do, we're having pizza that night for dinner, because I'm going to be busy making icing!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:26am
post #9 of 10

Yummy..I don't know what to say. I'm so paranoid that I deliver all of my cakes..even the ones that are two or three blocks away. icon_lol.gif However I also believe that most anything is possible if someone wants something bad enough.

Indydebi's buttercream would hold up without a doubt. I live near enough to Mississippi that I know what the weather is like and her recipe holds up just fine to these conditions. Also, using the SPS like you said is a MUST. Too bad that ya don't have a Cake Safe. The only thing that I would be worried about is the way the person transporting the cake managed things. The AC should be kept on at all times....even when he stopped for gas, stopped to eat or go to the restroom. The cake should be "planted" in a safe level spot and wedged in so tightly that it couldn't budge and be shielded from the rays of sunlight shining through the windows of the vehicle. Also it would depend on what type of vehicle he drove. A Cadillac would be ideal. They seem to just "glide" down the road icon_lol.gif You wouldn't want a cake trying to make that trip in just any vehicle. I would also educate the customer how to manage the cake once it made it to it's destination.

I personally would not want to do this but like I said I think most anything is possible if someone is willing to do what it takes to accomplish the task.

Please do let me know if you do end up doing this cake. Ya got me curious now on whether or not it could/would make the journey.

yummy Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 10

Lissergirl, LOL. If I do this cake , maybe I could buy you a few boxes of dream whip and he could meet you at a rest stop and you could pay C.O.D. he's from either Jackson or Raleigh but has relatives in both and in surrounding areas. LOL wouldn't that be funny?

Mamawrobin, thanks for your input. He's driving a Ford explorer, and that's all I got as of now. Like I said I haven't been asked just want to be prepared. I'll let you all know sometime in Aug.

Now my next task, practicing how to carve a 3D cake. I seen a sneaker cake on here that I wanted to try; I've been putting it off for months. My friends father has been a mechanic for over 35 years; how cool would it be if I could master cake carving to the point where I could do a car for him? If I'm asked of course, I love to plan ahead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%