When Can I Stack?

Decorating By CiaraRae Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 6:27pm by mamawrobin

CiaraRae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiaraRae Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making (made?) my first tiered cake for my graduation party tomorrow, and, despite a few fondant rips, it doesn't look bad (especially because I had never worked with MMF before). I'm getting to the transportation stage and could use a little advice. My cake is a two layer 8" bottom and a two layer 7" on top (I was going for a certain look with those numbers, which is why it wasn't 8" and 6"). Both layers are covered in MMF, and I used Wilton's plastic dowels on the bottom layer.

My question, after all of that, is when can I stack it? I'm going to put it in a box and take it just a couple streets over in my subdivision sometime Saturday (tomorrow) morning since the party is at 3 p.m. The only reason I don't want to stack it Saturday before I go is because I'm rolling balls of fondant to put on the bottom of each layer. Theoretically, I could get up a few hours early to do it, but I'm afraid that'll make me super tired for my party. I was thinking about stacking it around 9 or 10 p.m. tonight (Friday) and adding the decoration around the bottom. Would that be reasonable?

Sort of a side question: I'm using wires on my cake with coffee stirrers to hold them. I saw something about piping chocolate into the stirrer to keep the wire still, but that didn't go so well for me. Would I be okay with just leaving the stirrer alone and putting the wire in the stirrer without anything else?

Thanks!

5 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 6

Oh yeah you can do it tonight. I usually put wire in and use bc frosting once I put everything in and set. If the straw isn't full with wires or frosting the wires will move on you. That is just up to you.

CiaraRae Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 6

You know, I thought of just about everything else to fill wires with - chocolate, RI, melted fondant, melted gumpaste - but I never thought of the easiest thing: BC! Thanks. =]

That takes a lot off of my shoulders, being able to stack it tonight I mean. -heaves sign of relief-

Would 9 be pushing it, or could I do it even earlier, like say...6?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 6

You can stack anytime you like. There isn't a time limit on how long a stack cake will hold....the yellow and red cake in my photos had been stacked for a week when those photos were taken. (no one ate the cake...it was suppose to be for a wedding cake..wedding was cancelled due to a death...so I just decorated the cake for a cake to add to my portfoilo.....just wanted to clarify that no one ate a cake that old.. icon_lol.gif )Anyway, I'm just saying that you can go ahead and stack the cake NOW if you want. If the cake is stacked properly it will hold indefinetely. No time limit on that.

Be sure to post pictures of your cake and good luck with everything. thumbs_up.gif

CiaraRae Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 6

A week?? Well, if a cake can hold up that long (though absolutely unfortunate that the wedding was cancelled because of a death), I feel better doing mine now.

I'll be sure to post pictures as soon as I can. =]

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiaraRae

A week?? Well, if a cake can hold up that long (though absolutely unfortunate that the wedding was cancelled because of a death), I feel better doing mine now.

I'll be sure to post pictures as soon as I can. =]

Yeah...and I let that thing sit around for another week before I threw it out icon_lol.gif It never budged even a fraction of an inch. thumbs_up.gif I used McDonald straws and cardboard cake circles for supports in that cake as well. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%