Florida Home Bakery Question

Business By sgarmo Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 11:30pm by chilz822

sgarmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgarmo Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:49am
post #1 of 5

I'm thinking of trying to build a commercial kitchen in my back yard. I have the Dept of Agriculture building standards but I was wondering if anyone on here has built anything like this on their property and been successful starting their own cake business. Can you share anything that might help me? Do you have to have all commercial equipment? Commercial oven? Commercial fridge? It's all so confusing and I just really want it to work out but I'm finding it very hard to know where to start. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies
Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 5

We use a friend's space so we don't have first-hand knowledge on what you're asking. However, there is nothing that I've read that says you have to have commercial items for baking or refrigerating. It's just common sense that you would need those items. I would think that you should evaluate your current trend on quantity of cakes made. If you can get away with a regular kitchen oven, then go that route; however, if you think you may need to bake more cakes at any one time, then you might want to invest in the commercial oven.

What part of Florida are you in? You are in a good position, from what you describe, of having the perfect away from the house but close enough to it situation.

Paul

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 5

I'm in Florida, and the only thing I know so far, is that it has to be separate from the living space with separate air intake, but I've never heard of them specifiying what type of equipment you need to have.

Btrfly578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Btrfly578 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 5

@sgarmo, I myself am wanting to do the same thing. I have enough space in my backyard to do something like that. There is a lot of agricultural fields all around me as I am around the Tampa area. I do know that I would need to make my property Commercial instead of Residential. I would also love to get some answer's in seeing if I could do it and what kind of equipment I'd need. TIA

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 5

I'm with you guys... teetering on the fence between renting space and building a kitchen on my property. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I do have the pdf the Dept of Agri sent me with the building requirements on it... it's on their website but I'd be glad to send it if anyone needs it...

Please keep us posted on your findings!
btw... wonder what, if anything, it does to your property taxes annually

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%