How Do I Make Peoples Mouths Not Turn Colors?

Decorating By ElmwoodHero Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 5:32pm by carmijok

ElmwoodHero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElmwoodHero Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:47am
post #1 of 11

whenever i use a lot of wilton color, red and blue, peoples mouths turn that color. how do i make this not happen

10 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:51am
post #2 of 11

Try using the spray color instead. It takes a bit of practice but what you get is color on the outside of the cake and not the entire frosting or covering...less dye.

Cat

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:28am
post #3 of 11

They could always line their mouths with plastic while they chew! icon_lol.gif

That's kind of like asking, "How do I not get berry stains on my hands when I squish berries in my hands?" Uh ..... it's just gonna happen. Period. If you're eating food with red dye, then you're going to have a red-tinted mouth.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 11

When I was a little kid, that was the best part of the birthday cake. Red teeth!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 11

Indy always say it like it is...Gotta Love her...Smack right on....colored lips and teeth are fun!!! icon_biggrin.gif It's like a customer asking..."Can you not make the icing so sweet" icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif Honey ..it's icing...it has tons of icing sugar in it of course it is gonna be sweet.... icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 11

I won't make an all red or all black cake. When my nephew wanted a blue dragon cake I iced it white and airbrushed it blue.

It is part of the nature of the beast. You want dark colors that involve using lots of icing colors to make then you will have your month and tongue in that color.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

They could always line their mouths with plastic while they chew! icon_lol.gif

That's kind of like asking, "How do I not get berry stains on my hands when I squish berries in my hands?" Uh ..... it's just gonna happen. Period. If you're eating food with red dye, then you're going to have a red-tinted mouth.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

OMG, I love this answer! thumbs_up.gif

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 11

I used to avoid blueberry pie because it turned my teeth blue. What a dope! I LOVE blueberry pie and now regret every time I ever let it go by.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 11

I asked my local cake supply store this question about black fondant and she looked at me and channeled her inner IndyDebi and said exactly what IndyDebi just said. Now I know what Homer Simpson means when he says "Doh!"

lissergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissergirl Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:28pm
post #10 of 11

I have noticed that when I use powder color instead of the Wilton gel color, it seems to stain less - even black. Yes, at first bite, there is some color that remains but when you take a drink of water, it seems to go away almost completely - if not all together. Has anyone else noticed this?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:32pm
post #11 of 11

Are you using solid colored buttercream to frost? I layer uncolored buttercream (and refrigerate between layers) until I get to where only the last layer or two is the colored version. That way the majority of the buttercream is not colored and the colored layer is thin and not as likely to stain as much. Just make sure you layer the color on really cold BC. HTH! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%