Have You Ever Shipped A Cake To Hawaii? Would You??

Decorating By cakelady11215 Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 10:30pm by cakelady11215

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:25am
post #1 of 12

I couldn't find anything when I searched so I decided to post in the forum. The wedding is in a few months and I was asked if I could make the cake and have it shipped there. I hate to turn them down but I really don't see how this is possible. Even if I have dry ice, styrofoam, etc. etc. what if they hold it on it's side? Anything that will hold the cake standing would also leave some sort of mark. Thoughts?

thanks so much,
cakelady11215

11 replies
rushing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rushing Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:07am
post #2 of 12

hmmm... sounds a little sketchy. I wouldn't do it

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:57am
post #3 of 12

no way, would i even consider it.

alleykat1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alleykat1 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:34am
post #4 of 12

sounds like you need a cake safe lol cakesafedotcom but too price to ship and hope to get it back unless it is family.

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:36am
post #5 of 12

I wouldn't ship. If you'd like, I am in Honolulu and can provide with the names of several bakeries. Cake Lava is amazing and just did their first Food Network challenge a few months ago.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:02pm
post #6 of 12

Do you know this person?

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 12

If you want to refer them to someone else you could recommend Cakelava.

http://cakelava.com/welcome.html

He makes the most beautiful and awesome cakes ever.

And I wouldn't ship from NY to HI. It would take several days, unless you did FedEx and then it would cost a small fortune. Probably more than it would to make the cake.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 12

I have a question... why is it that they want a cake shipped from NY to HI? Are they relatives? It seems like it would be cheaper and less of a logistical risk to just order one in HI. I'm only asking bc if you don't know them it may be a scam.

I'm still trying to figure out how to send a cake to my bestfriend in MI.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:27pm
post #9 of 12

I've mailed fondant covered cakes with great success, but unless this is someone you know I would think twice about it!!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:33pm
post #10 of 12

If it's the taste they want, why have them request to whatever baker they hire, that they use your recipe...? Just a thought...some bakers ( I worked for one who did) will produce a cake with a special recipe, just because it was the cake they loved growing up, etc. They might be able to have your cake without you having to produce it!
As I said...just a thought. icon_biggrin.gif

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:46pm
post #11 of 12

I wouldn't do it. I live in Florida and am doing a cake out in San Deigo next weekend. I am shipping uniced cakes out there because of logistical issues. I won't have an adequate oven or space to work in to make the bride's 6-tiered cake. It is difficult enough trying to figure out how to safely ship uniced cakes. I can't imagine shipping a fully iced and decorated cake. Plus, as someone else mentioned, it is expensive to ship cakes.

Personally, I would let this one go. If you decide to do it, add on a huge PIA charge as it takes quite a bit of time planning and organizing cakes for shipping. I also suggest having the bride pay for all shipping costs. If they really want your cake, and it isn't a scam, then they should be willing to take on all the expenses.

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 10:30pm
post #12 of 12

thanks so much everybody...
this is someone I know, but not that well at all (a friend of a friend). i will suggest cake lava, i have no idea what her budget is but i'm sure it will be cheaper than having me ship (and less stress for everyone involved for sure!).

thanks again!
lynelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%