My Red Frosting Is Pink!

Decorating By JanessaJo Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 12:25pm by 2SchnauzerLady

JanessaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanessaJo Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:04am
post #1 of 13

i made a batch of frosting for a Cars cake, and it will not turn red. i am using the wilton's no taste red and the bottle is now empty but the frosting is still pink. can I do anything else or do I need to break down and start over?

12 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:07am
post #2 of 13

it takes a LOT, and I mean ALOT of red coloring to achieve red when using wilton. If you can, get some Americolor red. doesnt take a whole lot.

careful with the wilton and all the red you will need. alot of times it will break down the icing. alot of people airbrush their cakes to get the true red.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news. icon_sad.gif

JanessaJo Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:13am
post #3 of 13

yeah the frosting now looks horrible. from all the stirring there are air bubbles like crazy.

i dont know what to do now. i have used 3 boxes of cake mix and carved it into a car, and nothing to frost it with

suggestions?? =)

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:15am
post #4 of 13

can you wait about 12 hours?

red has the odd habit of getting darker over night.

BUT -- do keep it away from UV light, and that included florescent as it tends to fade red.

JanessaJo Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:18am
post #5 of 13

yes doug i could wait, but i dont think this pink color will turn anything near red no matter what.

would going and getting the wiltons premade frosting and some more red coloring do me any good, or just be a waste of time?

tesso Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:18am
post #6 of 13

cover it in Jello MMF. it's my recipe and i finally got it on here. easy to make. easy to work with. and by adding cherry or strawberry jello. it will tint the mmf for you. icon_biggrin.gif or get you to a point that you only need to add a small amount of tint.

JanessaJo Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:24am
post #7 of 13

i thought about adding the jello to the frosting i made, and decided not too and used the "let it sit for 3 hours and the red will darken" method

should i just make more and try the jello?

or maybe i should make Dinoco Lightning McQueen, the blue car lol

tesso Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:33am
post #8 of 13

i think it is time to toss a coin.. heads blue.. tails red.. and flip....

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:54am
post #9 of 13

I had the same exact problem 2 months ago. A double batch took 3 large containers of Wilton gel and some Wilton spray red, but I got it. Not without a price though, the icing tasted bitter and stained everything it came in contact with such as lips and teeth. Next time, I will do it differently.

JanessaJo Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:59am
post #10 of 13

so do you think i should give up on the red frosting and just do the blue car cake? specially since the cake is already carved....and party is saturday

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 10:11am
post #11 of 13

Can you get Americolor instead? Otherwise, maybe you can use the spray color only. In other words,ice it white and then get a couple cans of the Wilton red spray and spray paint it once you have it smooth and crusted. That goes on red so I think it would be fine.

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 11:56am
post #12 of 13

Red is the absolute worst! I always use Americolor coloring now. Wilton just doesn't work as well. Plus you use a lot less with Americolor. Also, I highly suggest an airbrush machine. I got mine super cheap online. I think it was only around $100. I had to do a dark black cake for my friend's breast cancer benefit and it's almost impossible to get the color really black. The airbrush machine saved me HOURS of kneading fondant icon_smile.gif Good luck!!!!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:25pm
post #13 of 13

I was at Michael's the other day, and Duff has a spray on color, I did see a can of red. Good for those of us who don't have an airbrush!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%