Icing For Fruitcake. Doesn't Want Royal

Decorating By Limpy Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 9:44pm by Cakechick123

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:03am
post #1 of 13

Have been asked to cover a fruitcake with almond paste & then icing. The customer said that she does not want a hard icing like royal icing. What icing can I use bearing in mind that the fruit cake will be very moist (due to lots of rum)?

12 replies
sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:20am
post #2 of 13

Fondant should work.

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:36am
post #3 of 13

Yes, marzipan then fondant works great. I'd love a piece of that fruitcake right now...

C.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:40am
post #4 of 13

OOOh.I love fruitcake...My Mom soaks hers in rum for 3 months..Yum!!

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:21am
post #5 of 13

Sorry. She said that she does not want fondant, "just a softer icing than royal icing". I am thinking that buttercream will not work, as the almond paste is already greasy. Anyone have any ideas?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:29am
post #6 of 13

I think she's asking you for something that you can't give her.

It's pretty much either fondant or roya if it's going over marzipan and a booze soaked cake.

The proper royal icing would have glycerin added to it so that it's not rock hard.

Sometimes, you just can't let the customer dictate how things are done. Sometimes, the cake is in charge..................

Rae

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:51am
post #7 of 13

Would a glace icing work? That wouldn't dry hard like royal, but you'd get the nice smooth look.

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:26am
post #8 of 13

Hmmm... there's not a lot of options. It really depends on why she's objecting to the royal and fondant.

If it's because royal is too hard, then as BlakesCakes suggested, adding glycerin will keep it nice and soft.

If she doesn't like the flavour of fondant then you could mix marzipan and fondant together - I think I've heard it called 'marzifon' - it has a marzipan flavour, but it's not so yellow, more ivory...

Other than that, you could try a 7-minute frosting which is not all that different to royal or maybe a thick glaze as letsgetcaking suggested... or you could suggest to the client that she order a chocolate cake instead...

Regards,
C.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 10:40am
post #9 of 13

I was thinking a glaze too-like you would use on petit fours. It would be smooth and shiney, but soft. You would probably have to glaze it a couple of times for full coverage, then you can pipe over it when it dries.

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 13

I wonder how long she intends to keep that cake for though. Cuz fruitcake keeps forever and if she isn't eating all at once then I don't think seven minute or buttercream will hold up well for too long. And grease aside...buttercream tastes awful in fruitcake....don't ask me how I know. I'd rather not go back there.

True the glycerine would keep the royal from getting rock solid but hard is relative. Personally I still consider "soft" royal icing to be "hard" if you know what I mean....

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:07pm
post #11 of 13

What about white chocolate ganache?

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:28pm
post #12 of 13

How about just using a white marzipan. Looks just like fondant and also can be coloured in just the same way but is just almond paste. Two layers and you get a super smooth effect. The first layer covers the cake and protects the outer layer from any discolouring from the fruit cake.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 9:44pm
post #13 of 13

if she is going to eat the cake right away then ganache or glaze will work, but you need to warn her that the juices from the cake might seep through and stain the icing on the outside
if she intends to keep the cake for some time, there are not many options, either fondant or royal.
Sometimes you have to make the decisions for them, and like Blake said, they must accept that the cake is in charge!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%