Lemon Curd/cupcake Filling

Decorating By Crissielyn Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 5:45pm by DeeDelightful

Crissielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissielyn Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 10

Hello,

Anyone know how long lemon curd can be left at room temp? Need to fill cupcakes tomorrow with somekind of lemon filling, but cupcakes wont be served until next day.

If you know whether or not lemon curd could be kept inside a cupcake for 2 hours at room temp please let me know. Or, if you know of another non-perishable lemon flavored filling that would be great too.

Much thanks.

9 replies
Crissielyn Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 10

On second thought, any kind of cream/pastry filling would be fine if its non-perishable for a few days. (I know you can buy the stuff in the sleeves, but I have no way of getting to a shop that carries those).

Thanks again.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 10

I use shelf stable lemon curd for wedding cakes all the time and have never had an issue. I think there may be an issue with homemade tho' since it has to be refrigerated.

Crissielyn Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:08am
post #4 of 10

Would like to make something at home, if possible. It only needs to be ok at room temp for 24 hours. Any ideas??? Anything creamy, vanilla, or lemon?

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 10

I have filled cupcakes with homemade lemon curd. I do live in a mild climate, not extremalyt hot or humid, but have not had any problems.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 10

How about your regular buttercream with lemon flavoring and lemon zest??

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 10

As far as I know, any homemade lemon curd or pastry filling has to be refrigerated. The only creamy homemade thing I can think of that can be left unrefrigerated would be buttercream. You could make lemon buttercream and be fine. Is the amount of cupcakes too many to fit in your fridge?

DeeDelightful Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 9:21pm
post #8 of 10

I would suggest the lemon buttercream with a little yellow color to it. To me, anything creamy suggests an ingredient that requires refrigeration. I think your guests will be pleased with a tart lemony buttercream filling. You could thin it a bit with real lemon juice to get a "creamier" texture.

Crissielyn Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:13pm
post #9 of 10

Just a note to let everyone know what I ended up doing. I found a way to get to a cake decorating store and bought the lemon pastry filling they have. I didnt like that it just looked like a weird lemon gel and tasted just like lemon sugar in gel form, so I mixed it with buttercream and it made for a tasty filling. No problem eating them even three days later.

DeeDelightful Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:45pm
post #10 of 10

Sounds great! Glad it worked for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%