Rose Cutters, Favorites?

Decorating By KakesbyKris Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 8:59pm by MalibuBakinBarbie

KakesbyKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesbyKris Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 4

I have only used Wilton's five petal cutter to make roses. ( you can see them in my pics, the breast cancer cake) But it is pretty limiting on the sizes you can make. I would like to branch out and be able to make the big roses I have seen on so many lovely cakes. From the tutorials I have seen, the single petal cutters seem to be the way to go but I have no idea which ones to get.
Which ones do you all like and which ones should I stay away from? Also is it worth it to get a veiner mold? I am asking not just for roses but for all flowers. Does a veiner make a big difference?
Thanks for any advice! CC'ers are so great! Love it here! thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 4

Of course veining makes a huge difference--depending on the flower you are making.

As for the petal cutters, I am really satisfied with the ones that Scott Clark Woolley has on his website. I also like the larger ones.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 4

If you are going for the more realistic flowers then you want the vieners.

I have the 5 petal cutters. I think mine are FMM, they are the cream colored plastic. I've never used the single petal ones.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 4

Hi. I only have one pic in my photos, so I can't show you; but I prefer to use single petal metal cutters. For me, I always get "cleaner" lines when I use my metal cutters versus plastic. I think everyone's different, though. So I'm sure you'll see responses where some say they don't like metal ones. Oh, I got mine from a class I took with Eleanor Rielander from South Africa.

About veiners, I think they are definitely worth the investment. I don't always use them. Depends on the flower and the look I'm going for.

.... Thank you for your post, Rylan. I admire Scott Clark Woolley's work and didn't realize he sold products. ... Must check them out!!!

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%