Cake Batter Taste Like Oil

Baking By JanessaJo Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 2:21am by laceycakes

JanessaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanessaJo Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 7

I just made boxed cake mix, even put less oil than instructed, and the batter taste like oil and funky. should i even bother baking it or go get more mix?

6 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 7

You should not judge a batter until it has been baked. And in fact, you should follow the instructions to a tee, because now you may end up with a rather dry cake.

Personally I wouldn't even taste a batter, or even a batter with oil. To me cake batter is different than raw cookie dough for some reason. But then again, I bake from scratch. It may vary with a cake mix.

But I will say that raw meat taste way different then when it is cooked. And would you judge how good a burger is going to taste by tasting the raw meat?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 7

You say it tasted funky. Oil does go rancid over time, giving it a very funky smell and taste. Is your oil very old?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

You say it tasted funky. Oil does go rancid over time, giving it a very funky smell and taste. Is your oil very old?

It will also go rancid faster if you keep it in a warm area, like beside the stove.

Does your oil have a strong smell to it??

JanessaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanessaJo Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 7

Nope the oil smells fine. I went ahead and baked the cake too and it doesn't taste like oil but doesn't taste like yummy chocolate cake either. Since I'm short on time I am using it any way, I'm sure with the frosting it will be just fine.

I have always tasted the cake batter and it has never tasted like that before, however I did use Enova brand so maybe that's why.

Thanks for the responses =)

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 7

Try Canola Oil next time. To me it doesn't give the oil smell to the finish product like vegetable oil does.

laceycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laceycakes Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:21am
post #7 of 7

I started making cupcakes recently with cake mixes, and couldn't stand that the papers and my cupcake pans are really oily. So I tried substituting the 1/3 cup of oil with 1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce (whatever the oil amount is substitute the same amount of applesauce). They came out great. Everyone that ate them could not tell the difference. I actually got more compliments on them. The only difference is that the cake mix using the oil yields 24 cupcakes, and with the applesauce it only yields 18.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%