Fondant?

Decorating By Freddie9125 Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 9:07pm by carmijok

Freddie9125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freddie9125 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone, I'm new and I'm afraid I have bitten off more than I can chew. I have never attempted this kind of cake decorating in my life. So here come the questions:
1) after covering the cake with fondant, how long (days) will it stay fresh? 1a)and does it need to be refrigerated?

2) Through my research, I understand that once the cake has been frozen it should come to room temperature before applying the buttercream, which acts like glue for the fondant, correct?

3) do I have to use dowels? I have got 2 - 8" rounds, each about an inch thick (buttercream in the middle when the time comes) with a 6" round on top - that two may be a double layer.

I now realize that I will have my hands full since I bought Duffs fondant and buttercream, but like I said before, I've bitten more than I can chew.

So I'm hoping with everyone's help I'll be able to pull this off.

Any suggestions, advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

11 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 12

Welcom to CC!
A cake covered in fondant will stay fresh for a while (a week maybe).

You need to use dowels or bubble tea straws anytime you stack a cake.

You use buttercream or ganache to cover the cake first before you apply the fondant.

It needs to come to room temp first or be slightly chilled, don't cover a cake straight out of the freezer.

Good luck!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie9125

Hi everyone, I'm new and I'm afraid I have bitten off more than I can chew. I have never attempted this kind of cake decorating in my life. So here come the questions:
1) after covering the cake with fondant, how long (days) will it stay fresh? 1a)and does it need to be refrigerated?
Unless you use a perishable filling..the cake doesn't need refrigeration...I NEVER refrigerate my cakes...too many issues with doing that. The cake will stay fresh..if covered properly for about 1 week at room temp.
2) Through my research, I understand that once the cake has been frozen it should come to room temperature before applying the buttercream, which acts like glue for the fondant, correct?
Yes....allow your cake to come to room temp. before iciing...I suggest that you watch Planet Cakes youtube video "How to cover a cake with fondant" BEFORE attempting to cover your cake. Love this video
3) do I have to use dowels? I have got 2 - 8" rounds, each about an inch thick (buttercream in the middle when the time comes) with a 6" round on top - that two may be a double layer.
YES....dowels/straws in the bottom tier....also watch youtube video "How to stack a cake"......tutorials are priceless information
I now realize that I will have my hands full since I bought Duffs fondant and buttercream, but like I said before, I've bitten more than I can chew.

So I'm hoping with everyone's help I'll be able to pull this off.

Any suggestions, advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

thumbs_up.gif

Freddie9125 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 12

Thank-you.
What are "Bubble Tea Straws"? Would simple drinking straws be enough? The kind you get from McDonalds?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 12

I only frost frozen cakes and they work out great. It's easier to crumb coat. And the cakes stay really moist. Just read the thread on here called
"I'm convinced, freezing cakes...ROCKS!

"http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6875161-.html#6875161

You will need dowels so watch the tutorials and don't forget about the thin board you need under your top tier. The tutorials are all awesome. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Freddie9125 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks carijok, I've read many tutorials and new about about the board under for under the top tier.
Now to figure out on how to get to that thread.

Kellbella Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:

Thank-you.
What are "Bubble Tea Straws"? Would simple drinking straws be enough? The kind you get from McDonalds?

No, they won't work...bubble tea straws are wider than simple drinking straws and are more sturdy. I buy mine from Amazon.com.

Freddie9125 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:14pm
post #8 of 12

Okay, I now have my wooden dowels, but I've had another off the wall idea, but really can't find instructions on how to do this.

My idea is to place crystal liqueur glasses in between my tiers. Will I need a clear plastic base or is there a way to simply place the liqueur glasses on top of the fondant? If I use (if I can find one) a plastic base, do I cover that in fondant too so it doesn't show? If I don't cover this plastic base, do I have to secure the glasses to the bottom base as well to the top tier?

Freddie9125 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 12

Sorry to be such a pain, but could someone please explain some terms. This is taken from another post:
1. Cool cakes completely
2. Fill with stiff buttercream dam, about 1/4" filling. Very thin crumbcoat
3. Let rest overnight on counter, weighted for smaller cakes
4. Ice
5. If using fondant, flash freeze (per Sugarshack) and cover.

Butttercream dam?
Filling? is used between layers, yes?
Crumbcoat? - this is a thin coating of buttercream so the fondant can stick, correct?
Flash Freeze/Sugarshack?

Kellbella Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:27pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:

Okay, I now have my wooden dowels, but I've had another off the wall idea, but really can't find instructions on how to do this.

My idea is to place crystal liqueur glasses in between my tiers. Will I need a clear plastic base or is there a way to simply place the liqueur glasses on top of the fondant? If I use (if I can find one) a plastic base, do I cover that in fondant too so it doesn't show? If I don't cover this plastic base, do I have to secure the glasses to the bottom base as well to the top tier?

You can place any seperator between the tiers directly on the fondant...just be sure you have good supports under the glasses, and I would secure them to both the top and bottom tiers with royal icing.

Kellbella Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:31pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:

Sorry to be such a pain, but could someone please explain some terms. This is taken from another post:
1. Cool cakes completely
2. Fill with stiff buttercream dam, about 1/4" filling. Very thin crumbcoat
3. Let rest overnight on counter, weighted for smaller cakes
4. Ice
5. If using fondant, flash freeze (per Sugarshack) and cover.

Butttercream dam?
Filling? is used between layers, yes?
Crumbcoat? - this is a thin coating of buttercream so the fondant can stick, correct?
Flash Freeze/Sugarshack?

A dam is a ring of icing piped along the edge of the cake to keep your filling from squishing out the side. It's recommended to make this really stiff...add lots of extra powdered sugar to it.

Filling is inbetween the layers, yes.

Yes, to the crumbcoat...you can put a little more bc on if you like, I put a full layer of bc on ( i like the sweet stuff!)

Sharon (sugarshack) does put her cakes in the freezer before you apply the fondant...put them in for 10 mins.

You should invest in her DVD's she'll answer any ?'s you may have.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 9:07pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:

Thanks carijok, I've read many tutorials and new about about the board under for under the top tier.
Now to figure out on how to get to that thread.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-687120-.html

try this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%