Swags On The Side Of A Cake

Decorating By snocilla Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 3:25am by Elaine2581

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, so I made this cake sketch for a client, thinking, sure I can do swags. But now, I am getting a little nervous that they will slide off. Most swags attach on top of the cake, not on the side. It will be buttercream with fondant swags. Any tips on attaching them so they don't slide down the side? Maybe hold them with toothpicks?
Thanks!
LL

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 7

I'd make that entire dark blue top out of fondant and attach the fondant swags to that.

Rae

snocilla Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks Rae! That's probably a better option.

Ajennie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ajennie Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 7

I have a ben10 cake to make in 3d but dont know how can some one help.thanks

snocilla Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 7

whats ben10?

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:30am
post #6 of 7

I would cover the cake in light blue fondant and mark the positions for the swags (looks like they do not come up to the edge, but below it). Next, cover the top of the base cake with a piece of fondant several inches larger than the diameter of the cake itself (cake's diameter is 10" make a dark blue circle 14"or 16" lay ontop of the fondant covered cake and center (use corn starch or powdered sugar to keep it from sticking until it's centered0.

Using lollipop sticks, straws, or skewers, cut to 2-3" in length (these will support the drapes) on one end, stick on the black balls. pleat the drapes and insert the stick/straw into the cake at the marked point leaving the straw with the ball on the end to support the drapes, insert as far as needed to hide the straw and support the weight.

once finished, i would the use a soft brush to apply some gum glue, water, or corn syrup under the drapes and gently press them to the cake. this will help relieve some of the weight on the straws too.

hope this helpsicon_smile.gif

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:25am
post #7 of 7

Love the sketch! I would probably try to do the top with the swags attached like others have suggested, but I have attached fondant swags to a buttercream cake using melted chocolate.
There is a pink & brown tiered cake in my photos. Actually, now that I think about it, I believe I attached the swags with buttercream but used the melted chocolate to attach the bows to the fondant swags. Just make sure to roll the fondant very thin so that the swags are not too heavy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%