Pearl Dust On Buttercream?

Decorating By agraham225 Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 10:31pm by HamSquad

agraham225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agraham225 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:45am
post #1 of 6

I have an order for mini cupcakes and the customer requested buttercream but wants the to be finished in pearl if possible. I have only used pearl dust a couple of times and that was on fondant/gum paste. Anybody use it on bc cupcakes? thanks!

5 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:53am
post #2 of 6

if you don,t have an airbrush, i would buy the can of pearl sheen. GSA will have it. Lucks brand or PME . let the b/c set up. then spray. will be beautiful.hth

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 6

Interesting. Nice to know!

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 6

Hi, I tried the pearl luster dust as an experiment to see how it would look on BC. Check out my pictures. It is a white cake with a purple fondant butterfly on top. If I did this again, I would use a cosmetic blush brush because it is super soft and it is large and covers a wider area. I just bought a brush at Walmarts just for cakes. It works darn good on fondant too. Seen this on youtube tutorial for putting luster dust on fondant. HTH
Hamsquad icon_smile.gif

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 6

I've used the cosmetic brush on cookies and had a problem with tiny bits of the brush breaking off onto the icing. Have you ever had that problem?

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 6

Newatdecorating, yes, I have had problems with paint chipping off the paint brushes while working on items and the bristles coming out and getting into things. I've found for me, to use plastic handle brushes or unfinished wood paint brushes from a craft store. HTH
Hammy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%