Stacked Cake Help

Decorating By houseofcake Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 1:01pm by KHalstead

houseofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
houseofcake Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 8

I am doing my first wedding cake this week and have a question about stacking the cake. The cake is 14-10-6 inch square. Do I cover the cardboard cake boards that will be under each tier with aluminum foil? It may sound silly but I don't want the wedding guests getting pieces of cardboard in their cake because the cardboard fell apart from the oils of the cake.

Thank you for your help.

7 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 8

no, don't cover at all.

cake will be fine.

oils will not case it to fall apart.

but aluminum foil in the cake -- and very probably will be as it tears easily -- is a big no - no

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 8

are you using plain cardboard you cut yourself?? Or are you using actually cake circle cardboards with the wax coating??

houseofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
houseofcake Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

are you using plain cardboard you cut yourself?? Or are you using actually cake circle cardboards with the wax coating??

I am using Wilton cake boards.

Another question, how do you get the dowel rods through the cardboard. I've read about sharpening the dowel rod into points but that still doesn't seem like it would be enough to go all the way through without causing the cake below to get squished. Is it best to put the dowel rods in the bottom tier and then lower the middle and top tiers onto the rods?

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 8

I put a centered hole in each of the upper cake boards before I stack the cake. The center dowel is then inserted into the bottom tier and the upper tiers are then slid down onto the dowel .

KHalstead Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 8

The purpose of the dowels is to support the next cake set on top. Here is what you need to do. Fully ice and smooth one cake, measure the depth of it (insert a dowel or a skewer or straw or something and mark where the top of the icing meets the straw or whatever you're using, pull it out) use that as a guide to cut all of your dowels for that layer. Insert all of the cut dowels in a circle in that cake, then set your next cake layer on top making sure it's centered on the circle of dowels. Then if you're doing another layer, put dowels in the cake you just put on top of the bottom cake, the same way you did with the bottom cake. Once you have your entire cake stacked, THEN sharpen one long dowel , measure how long it needs to be (make sure it's shorter than your stacked cake) and drive it through all the cakes in the center, you don't need to make a hole in the cardboards it will go through with a little push.

the dowels ARE the support.......if you just stack the cake and then drive a bunch of dowels down through the whole thing it will NOT support anything!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:12am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Then if you're doing another layer, put dowels in the cake you just put on top of the bottom cake, the same way you did with the bottom cake.

I don't dowel cakes as they are being stacked on top of one another--I do each tier individually before stacking. I put pressure on each tier before stacking also... it would be too difficult to do as the cake gets taller without standing on a stepstool to get directly over the top of it to apply even pressure.

KHalstead Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:01pm
post #8 of 8

I do too, I was just trying to illustrate that EACH cake has it's own dowels not just stack them all up and then put long dowels down through the entire stack of cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%