Castle Cake......need Some Advice

Decorating By Yum2010 Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 11:52pm by Shannon1129

Yum2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yum2010 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 10

Hello all!! I have an order for a castle cake next week and I was trying to come up with a design. I've made one before and used styrofoam covered in fondant for the tourets. This was not only expensive but a complete PITA!! and i really didn't want to do that again. This cake will be on a much smaller scale so I was entertaining the idea of using ice cream cones instead. I really didn't feel like covering them all in fondant so I was thinking of taking some pink pearl luster dust and airbrushing straight onto the cone. What's everyone's thought on this....Will it work?? Will it look like complete crap?......Anyone have some photos of cakes that have used this technique?.....or should I just suck it up, get off my lazy arse and use the fondant? Any advice would be apprciated! Thanks!

9 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 10

I have not done this but my thought is that the cone will absorb the paint and may distort. Why not just give a cone a blast of luster spray and see what happens.....Then let us know icon_smile.gif

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 10

One idea is you could use the Wilton Castle Set. Everything you need is in the box. All you have to do is color and decorate to your theme. I have used it and it is so easy to work with them. HTH

ShellBell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellBell69 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 10

I just made my daughter a castle cake for her birthday (it's in my photo's). I went ahead and covered the cones with fondant. It wasn't hard. It actually was the easiest part of the whole cake. I agree with cupcakemkr. I think the cone would deteriate(sp).

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 10

I airbrushed pearl on the cones in my purple castle cake and it worked great. The towers are fondant covered drink canisters. The cake is Crusting Cream Cheese buttercream embossed with the rock pattern.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1197221

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 10

dynee you cake does look fantastic! The airbrush on the sugar cones looks perfect. I made one once and I put RI on the cones and dip them in sanding sugar, fast easy and very pretty.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 10

I really like the castle you did before. You can ice the cones and roll them in colored sugar. I don't know if that helps any.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 10

I have used styrofoam...covered first in press-n-seal and then in buttercream once and fondant another time. Both worked just fine.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:00pm
post #9 of 10

I dipped the cones in melted candy melts when I made my castle. Actually if I'm remembering correctly, I had to kind of rub it on with my fingers. I thought they turned out pretty cute.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1310416

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 11:52pm
post #10 of 10

I covered my foam cones in fondant and it was really simple and quick.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%