Watermelon Cake Construction

Decorating By dubois2 Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 8:59pm by ASimpleBaker

dubois2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dubois2 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 5

Has anyone made this cake with a different flavor than watermelon? If i add the choc chips does it really look like seeds when you cut it open? Other than using a egg shaped pan has anyone constructed this in a different way? Such as circles cut in half and standing up to resemble watermelon"slices" Has anyone tried this?

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubois2

circles cut in half and standing up to resemble watermelon"slices" Has anyone tried this?

I think they'd fall apart unless you had something like a bookend construction device holding them together. I'd try sculpting the shape from horizontal layers.

DinasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinasSugarShack Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 5

I saw it on the front of a magazine at the grocery store. They baked a round cake and cut in half and stacked the halves. They had it lying down on its side as opposed to on the green side. I would be afraid of it coming apart too.

Dina

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 5

You can most likely do it on the green side, just cut some of it off so that it has a flat surface to sit on.

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 5

I made my mnin watermelon halfs with WASC recipe and dyed the batter pink and added mini chocolate chips (see my pictures). When you cut into them they looked real! I frosted the outside with earlenes buttercream and then airbrushed them. HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%