Gum Paste - How Long To Dry

Decorating By kirigami Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 5:10pm by carmijok

kirigami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirigami Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 4

I was just asked to make a wine bottle cake for Thursday night. I haven't said yes yet. I had done one before and it came out great but I used fondant and after 3 days it never really got hard and I needed support under it to keep its shape. I have since learned the benefits of gum paste thanks to this site.
If I do the wine bottle tonight in gum paste will it be hardened so that I can put it on the cake tomorrow night? Do I use 100% gum paste or a mix with fondant? I have the wilton powdered gumpaste mix.

Thanks

3 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 4

It depends on how thick your gum paste is as to how fast it will dry. I've done bows and such where they were dry enough after a few hours to place upright on cakes. And I did a teapot handle that took a couple of days because of the thickness. Are you forming the whole bottle out of gum paste or using a form to wrap around? A hollow gum paste bottle would dry so much faster. You could wrap your gum paste around a wine bottle and once the gum paste starts to set up, you could slide it up the bottle and then stuff it with paper towels to keep the shape and help it dry faster. At least that's what I would do. Also, I think there are molds where you can put two pieces together to make a 3-D bottle. Maybe even do the 2 pieces on the wine bottle. Just some thoughts. I use the Wilton pre-made gum paste. Never had the nerve to try and make it from powder. good luck! thumbs_up.gif

kirigami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirigami Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks Carmijok. As I am using a wine bottle to mold my gum paste so it will be pretty thin. So it should dry with in 24 hours. I will stuff it like you suggested as the cake won't be picked up til Thursday so it will have another 24 hours to dry on the cake.

I am a relative newbie and have only made gumpaste once from the powder and it came out fine, so don't be afraid.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirigami

Thanks Carmijok. As I am using a wine bottle to mold my gum paste so it will be pretty thin. So it should dry with in 24 hours. I will stuff it like you suggested as the cake won't be picked up til Thursday so it will have another 24 hours to dry on the cake.

I am a relative newbie and have only made gumpaste once from the powder and it came out fine, so don't be afraid.

So if I'm understanding correctly you want the bottle to dry another 24 hours AFTER it's on the cake? I think I would wait until the very last before putting the bottle on the cake...especially if you're keeping it in the refrigerator. I have really not had experience with gum paste decor on cakes that are being refrigerated. The humidity could wreck your bottle. Be careful! (and I promise not to fear the gum paste powder!) icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%