couldn't find it using the link provided icon_sad.gif

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 19

HUH??????????? icon_confused.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 19

We read about this! I can't remember where it was, but this lady was found slumped over her steering wheel somewhere. Her breath smelled strongly of vanilla. She failed all sobriety tests. Then they found 2 8 oz bottles of vanilla extract and cans of coke in her car. Seems she laced the coke with the vanilla and had gotten drunk!

A brand new mix mixture for the kids and they won't even have to be proofed. Or it could be that in the future we will need to show our ID to buy vanilla extract!

It was on Fark.com several days ago if you want to see a printed version of the story.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 19

Oh - I remember hearing that on the news - vanilla is 35% alcohol - and she was drinking the big bottle - 8 oz! That's how people die from acute alcohol intoxication - they drink stuff that's a higher concentration, not realizing how potent it is!

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:09pm
post #6 of 19

Thanks for letting us know what the original link was suppoed to show. All sorts of
''news'' but not about vanilla!!

q2wheels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
q2wheels Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 19

A couple of years ago, here in my part of NY, the vanilla in almost all grocery stores was put behind the courtesy counter because kids were stealing it to get high!!!

Unbelievable!

Toni Ann

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

We read about this! I can't remember where it was, but this lady was found slumped over her steering wheel somewhere. Her breath smelled strongly of vanilla. She failed all sobriety tests. Then they found 2 8 oz bottles of vanilla extract and cans of coke in her car. Seems she laced the coke with the vanilla and had gotten drunk!

A brand new mix mixture for the kids and they won't even have to be proofed. Or it could be that in the future we will need to show our ID to buy vanilla extract!

It was on Fark.com several days ago if you want to see a printed version of the story.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 19

when i was a kid and my dad went through rehab for drinking and i remember sitting in the meeting with the family therapist as they told us to remove all cooking extracts and lots of other items from the house, because they will use them if available. they also told us to watch for the containers in case they were trying to "drink" withut having gone to the liquor store. my mom had tons of the watkins 8 oz bottles of extracts that she had to take to the neighbors.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:19am
post #9 of 19

WOW! That's crazy!! Who would have thought about any of the stuff that you all mentioned. Kids stealing vanilla extract, people getting drunk off of it. And the rest of us just put it in frosting. LOL. and cakes...and whatever else we want to.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:42pm
post #10 of 19

Just today I read about a lady in our area getting arrested for taking 26 bottles of vanilla into the grocery store restroom and drinking them. They valued the vanilla at $54. It would have been cheaper for her to get a bottle of Jack Daniels. icon_lol.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:03pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

Just today I read about a lady in our area getting arrested for taking 26 bottles of vanilla into the grocery store restroom and drinking them. They valued the vanilla at $54. It would have been cheaper for her to get a bottle of Jack Daniels. icon_lol.gif

Yes but did she pay for them?

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:46pm
post #12 of 19

That story reminds me of the lady on intervention that was drinking mouthwash to get drunk.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:30am
post #13 of 19

I remember seeing an episode of Family Ties that had a really young Tom Hanks as an alcoholic relative who was caught drinking the vanilla in their pantry. That was the first I'd ever heard of it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:33pm
post #14 of 19

My dad worked in a grocery store over 30 years ago, and said they were always finding empty vanilla extract bottles in the store.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 10:53pm
post #15 of 19

Pretty credible here! I make my own vanilla by putting vanilla beans in Vodka.. hic-cup! icon_redface.gif

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 11:08pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Pretty credible here! I make my own vanilla by putting vanilla beans in Vodka.. hic-cup! icon_redface.gif

How do you do that? I bought 2 pounds of Madagascar beans from someone and keep staring at them everytime I go to the pantry asking myself what will I use these for? What's the ratio?

kansaslaura Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:47am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellbella

Quote:

How do you do that? I bought 2 pounds of Madagascar beans from someone and keep staring at them everytime I go to the pantry asking myself what will I use these for? What's the ratio?

First of all I've learned a couple of things over the past few years making the vanilla. I started off buying the cheapest Vodka in the liquor store and have since decided a better vodka,(I have Smirnoff Premium Triple Distilled in the cupboard with beans in it now)is a better idea. I find the cheaper Vodka leaves a more alcohol smell and the better ones a more vanilla scent.

I use at least 6 Vanilla Beans to 16 ounces of Vodka. I just pop off the little plastic pour guard under the cap, pour out about 2 or 3 inches of Vodka and cram in a bunch of beans. (You need to pour off a little to make room for the beans or you can pour it into pint canning jars. I just find the bottle the easiest to pour from later) I split them in 1/2 before dropping them in. (I do leave the end in tact so the bean doesn't fall completly apart) In my mind it gives more surface area to the bean to release it's flavor. Shake it up good and put in the cupboard.

Shake it up every now and then--makes me feel like I'm actually doing something --lol. It can take about 2 months to get a nice dark rich color. This isn't ideal for frosting because there will be vanilla caviar floating in the extract and the closer you get to the bottom, the more you'll find. It is great for gifts--just fill little bottles and be sure to put one of the beans in each one for extra that extra 'wow' factor.

HTH and let me know if you have any more questions. I'm not sure it really saves me any money, I'm just one of those people who have to try this kind of thing at least once!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:27pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellbella

Quote:

First of all I've learned a couple of things over the past few years making the vanilla. I started off buying the cheapest Vodka in the liquor store and have since decided a better vodka,(I have Smirnoff Premium Triple Distilled in the cupboard with beans in it now)is a better idea. I find the cheaper Vodka leaves a more alcohol smell and the better ones a more vanilla scent.

I use at least 6 Vanilla Beans to 16 ounces of Vodka. I just pop off the little plastic pour guard under the cap, pour out about 2 or 3 inches of Vodka and cram in a bunch of beans. (You need to pour off a little to make room for the beans or you can pour it into pint canning jars. I just find the bottle the easiest to pour from later) I split them in 1/2 before dropping them in. (I do leave the end in tact so the bean doesn't fall completly apart) In my mind it gives more surface area to the bean to release it's flavor. Shake it up good and put in the cupboard.

Shake it up every now and then--makes me feel like I'm actually doing something --lol. It can take about 2 months to get a nice dark rich color. This isn't ideal for frosting because there will be vanilla caviar floating in the extract and the closer you get to the bottom, the more you'll find. It is great for gifts--just fill little bottles and be sure to put one of the beans in each one for extra that extra 'wow' factor.

HTH and let me know if you have any more questions. I'm not sure it really saves me any money, I'm just one of those people who have to try this kind of thing at least once!

Thanks sooo much! Like I said...I have all those beans that I need to use, now I know what to do with them. icon_smile.gif

kansaslaura Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:39pm
post #19 of 19

Kelly--don't forget about making vanilla sugar too. I keep a jar in my cupboard and just keep refilling. I've got a wide-mouth canning jar with I think 3 or 4 spilt vanilla beans in it. Vanilla sugar makes incredible cinnamon and sugar for toast, and it's good for whatever you might normally roll in plain sugar--cookies, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%