How Long Will A Cake Stay Fresh??

Decorating By preciouspjs Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 9:09pm by carmijok

preciouspjs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciouspjs Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:03am
post #1 of 5

Normally, if a customer needs a cake on Sunday, I bake it Friday, and decorate it on Saturday. I never freeze nor refrigerate the cake (unless it has some sort of filling that needs to be constantly chilled)... I have a customer who wants a cake for Sunday, but I'm booked Thursday through Sunday, so she wants the cake for Wednesday. Will the cake be fresh? going by my regular rules, if the cake is baked Monday, decorated Tuesday, and picked up Wednesday, will it be fresh on Sunday. Any suggestions as to what to do, please help.. any and all is appreciated.

(does this question sound like an MCAS question.. lol)

4 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:42am
post #2 of 5

I wouldn't offer to do a fruit filling since that can make a cake soggy after 3 days but if it's filled with buttercream and sealed well with fondant or buttercream then as long as she stores it in a bakery box (NOT in the fridge) she will be ok with freshness come Sunday. This would be my absolute limit tho'...seriously, cakes are best in the first 3 days.

Cat

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:50am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

I wouldn't offer to do a fruit filling since that can make a cake soggy after 3 days but if it's filled with buttercream and sealed well with fondant or buttercream then as long as she stores it in a bakery box (NOT in the fridge) she will be ok with freshness come Sunday. This would be my absolute limit tho'...seriously, cakes are best in the first 3 days.

Cat

I agree with Cat thumbs_up.gif

preciouspjs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciouspjs Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 5

thanks. icon_smile.gif do you think the fondant will seal in the freshness, or do you think buttercream would be better?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 5

I bake and freeze cakes all the time. The bakery I worked for would bake on Tuesday for cakes due Saturday. They would freeze until time to frost and decorate. They were always moist and fresh. I just did a stacked cake this weekend that had to be done 2 days before the party. I baked on Sunday, froze my cakes, then frosted and decorated on Thursday. It's the first time I ever stored a fully decorated cake in the fridge (BC and fondant decor) for that long. I boxed and covered with cling wrap. It worked great. The party was Saturday evening and I'm happy to say everyone raved about how moist and delicious the cake was (it was). If you do a fruit filling (which I also did--strawberry), I would put a thin layer of buttercream on the top before topping with your fruit filling. It will keep it from soaking in to your cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%