Right In My Lap???

Business By Jenn2179 Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 3:45am by Jenn2179

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:04am
post #1 of 25

So I have a home-based cake business (legal in NC) and my ultimate goal is to move into a retail space. I was at a block party with friends last night. My friend and I were talking about skateboards and to make a long story short my friend's neighbor owns a small strip mall type place here in town. There is a space that used to be a skateboard shop that is empty. It is in a great place with plenty of other places to bring in customers. So anyway I was talking to the neighbor (mall owner) and we were talking about my business and he told me if I wanted I could move into the space and see how my business goes rent free for 3 or 4 months and if things go well then I can start paying rent gradually until my business is making enough money to afford the rent. The space doesn't have to be leased (he offered it to my friend for free if she had a business to put in there). It is about 1500 sq ft so plenty of room. It will need the electrical put in (it has the box) and my brother is an electrician so he can put it in. It will also need the sink put in (has a bathroom). I have much of the equipment that I already need. Deluxe oven, 20 qt mixer, fondant sheeter, commercial fridge, commercial freezer, etc. There are some things I would need. And since if would be a bakery I would still be controlled by the Dept of Agriculture and not the Health Department. So anyways I am going to get the keys to check out the space. This could be awesome for me. Just had to share.

24 replies
justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:23am
post #2 of 25

I hope this works out! How exciting.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 5:52am
post #3 of 25

That's great! thumbs_up.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:03am
post #4 of 25

how exciting! I'm crossing my fingers for you!

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:20am
post #5 of 25

Awesome!! I mean, there's way more to a cake shop than just the space, but you know that and you've got lots of stuff figured out already. No rent for a while is a huge plus!!! Congrats, good luck, and do post pics when it all works out! icon_smile.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:00am
post #6 of 25

that is wonderful !!! let us know how it checks out !! post pics!! so happy for you !!! icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:06am
post #7 of 25

Wow!! What a deal.

You'll actually be helping out the owner also, as there's nothing worse in real estate than a partially empty strip mall. Generating traffic into both your biz and the other biz(es) will be good for all!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:31am
post #8 of 25

That's awesome!! I just hope you don't get a case of sticker shop with the build-out costs to bring the space into compliance with the HD and DoA.

Hoping it all works out for you! icon_smile.gif

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:36am
post #9 of 25

Congrats to you!!!
There was a thread not long ago about a new business and it was mentioned by, I think,
Indydebi to hold off using your ''3 - 4 months free rent'' until all the plans were OK'd and
all the work done. Her ''free rent'' was gobbled up by all that OKing & remodeling!!! So
it's something well worth checking into.
Again ~ CONGRATS!!!! icon_smile.gif

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:41pm
post #10 of 25

That sounds like a wonderful opportunity! Good luck with your business!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:42pm
post #11 of 25

I would also make sure you get a contract stating exactly how much "rent" IS due and when that rent is due and so forth!

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:10pm
post #12 of 25

Wow, what serendipity! Best wishes for lots of success. Looking forward to photos.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:15pm
post #13 of 25

Wow...what a great opportunity! Congrats!

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:48pm
post #14 of 25

Great opportunity for you! Hope all works out for you and please post pics!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:07pm
post #15 of 25

What a great thing for you!! I hope everything goes well and please do post pictures and let us know how the business is doing. Congratulations!
thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
evelyn

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:13pm
post #16 of 25

How wonderful!!! Hope everything goes smoothly it seems like a win/win for you and the owner of the space. Certainly makes taking that first step a little easier I would think. icon_smile.gif
Enjoy!

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:38pm
post #17 of 25

Sounds exciting! Best of luck to you! thumbs_up.gif

Jenn2179 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:27pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

That's awesome!! I just hope you don't get a case of sticker shop with the build-out costs to bring the space into compliance with the HD and DoA.

Hoping it all works out for you! icon_smile.gif

Luckily in NC there won't be too many things that I have to do. It is a lot different that states like Texas and CA.

Jenn2179 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:27pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I would also make sure you get a contract stating exactly how much "rent" IS due and when that rent is due and so forth!

Oh I plan on getting everything in writing so there will be no confusion.

Jenn2179 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:31pm
post #20 of 25

Well I went and checked out the space today. It is a pretty clean slate so that is nice. The previous owner left all these cases and also the equipment for point of sale so I will be able to use that. The owner of the building told me I could use anything in there. My MIL and I are going to check out the space tomorrow so she can see it. I will have to talk to my brother (he's an electrician) so he can get the electrical done and then have to put in the sink.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:40pm
post #21 of 25

What a great opportunity. Hope all goes well!!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:58am
post #22 of 25

thats so exciting !!!. please keep us updated on how it all pans out.

Jenn2179 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:07am
post #23 of 25

I will. Right now I am writing a new business plan. Fun, fun. Tomorrow my MIL is going to look at the space with me. Once I get the business plan written then I will talk to the owner so I can figure out when I will start paying rent and how much it will be when I am up to the full amount. If it all looks reasonable then I will get my brother to get the license for the electrical work and get a permit for the plumbing and start working on getting the space ready. I will keep working out of my house for now filling all my orders until I am ready. I won't move until at least after ICES in San Diego.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:20am
post #24 of 25

wow that is awesome!! i wish you all the best icon_biggrin.gif

Jenn2179 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:45am
post #25 of 25

I just got all my questions answered from the landlord and emailed him back tonight. I am super lucky with this. He is really helping me get my business out of my house. He is giving me 6 months free rent, names of people to get the work done to get the place ready and then we will slowly raise the rent until we get it to where the final amount will me. The space is about 1100 sq feet. There is already a bathroom. Luckily in NC we fall under the Dept of Agriculture and not the Health Department so the rules and regulations are much less strict. I have much of the equipment I already need. I want to get a 3 compartment sink but don't have to have one. There are lots of display cases already there that I can use and the equipment for setting up for POS. I need to get the floor taken care of, it's concrete, paint, get the plumbing done for the sink and a couple of 240 plugs in. Then I need to decorate and move all my equipment in. I have a whole bunch of equipment and supplies that we will need to move and for me I think that will be the most daunting task. I also need to get the signage done and update my website. If anyone has any suggestions or things so I don't miss anything all help will be appreciated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%