Preggo Belly Cake! Ball Pan Seems Awefully Small.

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 11:54pm by judyj2

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:41am
post #1 of 10

i was looking at the wilton ball pan like i keep hearing to use for the belly part and that just looks like it would be such a small cake. surely most of these cakes i see are bigger than that right? i was thinking you use the soccer ball pan for the boobs. can someone give me a wuick how to on the belly cake?

9 replies
Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:53am
post #2 of 10

A glass Pyrex bowl, use the ball pans as the boobs. Someone just did a tutorial on belly cakes, I'll see if I can find it.

yamber82 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:56am
post #4 of 10

thank you! i've been searching all day! if it was a belly and boobs on top of a sheet cake i can see that working, but for JUST thebelly and boobs as the whole cake the ball pan looks soooo small. i have a metal mixing bowl that looks pretty proportionate to the ball pan if i use the ball pans as boobs. can i bake in that though? i've looked through every preggo belly cake on the web today lol, some of them look a little disproportionate though. i don't want it to look funny.

yamber82 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:02am
post #5 of 10

that one is still about the same size as using the ball pan for the belly icon_sad.gif is that really what everyone does? hmm...

i can make up for servings with cupcakes but that just seems like it would look funny that small. maybe it's just my imagination, i dunno...

Jeep_girl816 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:24am
post #6 of 10

You need a bigger bowl. Even if the one you have is stainless steel I'd be leery about using it in the oven, glass Pyrex was made to be oven safe. Or buy and use a bunt cake pan and cupcakes like in her tutorial.

yamber82 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 5:10am
post #7 of 10

i do have a bunt pan but it's "fluted" ? ...has indentions all the way around the outside...

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:58pm
post #8 of 10

I use the wilton barbie pan (the one used to make the skirt) then carve the top a bit to make it rounder... then use the ball pan halves to make the boobs... works everytime!

cakesbytanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbytanya Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:08pm
post #9 of 10

What about the wilton soccer ball pan? That is the one I would use!

judyj2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judyj2 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:54pm
post #10 of 10

I've used a big metal bowl several times and it comes out perfectly. I only fill it about 1/3 of the way though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%