Caramel Topping For Filling?

Baking By Sabre3of4 Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 6:36am by egensinnig

Sabre3of4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabre3of4 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:22am
post #1 of 4

How would I do this or can it be done at all?
I would like to do a chocolate cake for a friend later this summer.

I want to make the basic 2-layer chocolate cake to start and then take a skewer and poke holes in both layers and pour caramel topping over them ala a jello poke cake. I will most likely use a DH mix.

Can I then use the topping as a filling and plunk one cake on top of another and frost with buttercream? It pretty much has to be BC as most of the people in my circle think of fondant as chewy, sweet cardboard.

Tia,
sabrina

3 replies
keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 12:25am
post #2 of 4

I haven't poked holes and used the caramel but I have used the caramel as a filling. I put a buttercream dam first than used the caramel. Worked great. Another time I did a mixture of caramel with buttercream.

Linda

mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 12:55am
post #3 of 4

If you are thinking of a caramel topping like you would put on ice cream, it might work for filling the poked holes, but then I would add it to some buttercream for the filling and spread it within the icing dam. I think that kind of topping would be too runny to be a filling all by itself and would make your cake slide.

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 6:36am
post #4 of 4

A nice filling is dulce de leche that you do in teh microwave - you can just microwave it a little longer to get it thicker and more suitable for filling. And it's delicious!
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/14383/dulce-de-leche-ddl-quick-and-easy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%