Wedding Cake Purple Fondant, Sliver Hearts Help Please

Decorating By Kandis Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 5:40am by luvmysmoother

Kandis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandis Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 12

I have a bride that wants a 3 tier square cake ( purple) with silver hearts on it.
Please advise the best way to do silver fondant hearts!
Thank you in advance!!
Kandis

11 replies
sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:40am
post #2 of 12

I would cut the hearts out of thin fondant, glue to cake with little bit of water, then paint with lusterdust/everclear. Or you could paint, let dry then attach to the cake.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:02am
post #3 of 12

I would do just what sewsweet2 suggested. But, if you are going to put silver hearts on the edges/curves on yr cake then I would not wait for them to dry. They wb too brittle to be flexible enough to shape to the edges/curves of yr cake. Good Luck

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:14am
post #4 of 12

Color your fondant a light gray before dusting with silver. Makes it more silvery.

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:24am
post #5 of 12

If you are coloring your fondant purple just keep in mind that purples and pinks tend to fade to gray. icon_smile.gif I did a big huge purple wedding cake...had to make more/deeper color at the last minute.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:41am
post #6 of 12

Add 1 tsp baking soda per pound of purple fondant to help retain the colour. It slows down the fading. I have some purple flowers that I made 1 1/2 months ago and they have not faded. They are not covered with anything.

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:52am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

Add 1 tsp baking soda per pound of purple fondant to help retain the colour. It slows down the fading. I have some purple flowers that I made 1 1/2 months ago and they have not faded. They are not covered with anything.

Never heard of that!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aej6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

Never heard of that!

Me either! Wish I'd known when I was making purple violets. I had a ton left over. Haven't checked to see if they're faded or not. Does this apply to all colored fondant?

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 12

Duff has silver edible spray at Michael's...you could cut out the shapes in gray fondant, spray them down with silver and then apply onto cake when dried.

arseknoll1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arseknoll1 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:40am
post #10 of 12

There are some bake shops that has a heart pattern for cakes. Why dont take a look at those bake shops..

Kandis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandis Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:56am
post #11 of 12

Thanks to all of you for your helpful ideas!!!

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:40am
post #12 of 12

Does the baking soda make the fondant taste really nasty or do you only use it for decorations?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%