And I Bow To The Master...indydebi!

Decorating By catlharper Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 6:15pm by mommafixit

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 21

Ok, so this was my first attempt at making IndyDebi's BC. I followed all the tips...whipped the crisco like mad then added the rest of everything and whipped that like mad (thought my family was going to go nuts with the noise) and SUCCESS! I had my "tasters" let me know their opinions...my 9 yr old son who LOVES frosting and my dh who really doesn't like frosting at all and always eats the cake and leaves most of the frosting. The 9 yr old was a shoo in...I knew that going in...but imagine my surprise when getting ready to toss the beater blade into the sink and my dh comes in and grabs it and says "Nope, that's MINE!" LOL! I said "where's my husband?" LOL!

I then placed it in tupperware and into the fridge...with the plan of making our 4th of July cupcakes using this to test the heat resistance. So fast forward to yesterday when I make the cupcakes all pretty like and put into a holder. Then my dh, thinking he's being helpful, puts them into the cooler! UGH...how can I test the heat index if he keeps them cool! So this morning I take one, put it onto a saucer and out on the porch. It was 78 at 11am with a promise of 97 by 4pm. The spot I placed the saucer was in the shade with sun to come later in the day....and off to the movies we went. Well, I just got back home...cupcake sitting in the 97 degree heat IN THE SUN and not melted! Not only not melted but stll with all of my perfect swirls and stars!

So Debi...I bow to you and your recipe...with this recipe I will offer up buttercream cakes in the summer, not just fondant!

THANK YOU!

Cat

20 replies
cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 21

I've been wanting to try this Indebyi's recipe for some time now. Now, I will definitely give it a try this week!

BillieH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BillieH Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 21

[quote="catlharper"whipped the crisco like mad[/quote]

Ahhh...so that's where I went wrong. I'll have to give this recipe another try! icon_biggrin.gif

catlharper Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 21

One of the tips was to whip the crisco for 10 mins then add the rest and whip for 10 more minutes...Debi says that the more you whip the smoother it gets. I also found that with the 1/3 cup milk it was SOOOO stiff I couldn't get it thru a piping bag so I increased the milk to 1/2 and it was still stiff enough for good piping. I'd probably add even more for crumbcoating or final coating...thinner for crumbcoat and not so thin for a final bc coat. It crusts up beautifully and even when gently pressed it smooths out SOOOO smooth! I can see how the Viva method would work wonders with this recipe!

Cat

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 21

well i tried it on the 4th myself and it was 98 here and debi my hat comes off to you my grandkids loved it and in 2 weeks im going to make a thomas the train cake for my grandson and i needed a buttercream that crust well and could stand the heat and i found it thanks

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:10am
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

...cupcake sitting in the 97 degree heat IN THE SUN and not melted! Not only not melted but stll with all of my perfect swirls and stars!

(and she wipes a tear of happiness from her eye!) thumbs_up.gif

catlharper Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:15am
post #7 of 21

<<<<<bowing>>>>>

Oh thank you ButterCream Master! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:38am
post #8 of 21

Just joining in to be in the presence of greatness.

Debi - your spatula glows in your picture like a light saber. The Yoda of caking for people.

alleykat1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alleykat1 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:29am
post #9 of 21

ok now I've got to try it where do I get this awesome recipe???

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:39am
post #10 of 21

I used it yesterday as well on top of my mini patriotic cupcake cones. It was in the low 90's with high humidity. Given, they weren't sitting outside, but they held up great and were a big hit!
Does anyone know how you make chocolate buttercream with this recipe? Just add some cocoa powder in place of a little bit of the sugar?
Thanks!
LL

procrastibaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
procrastibaker Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:47am
post #11 of 21

I too tried her recipe las week and it is awesome. The icing taste more like a sweet cream rather than buttercream. ( and I hate buttercream)

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:54am
post #12 of 21

I make Indydebi's BC chocolate by substituting 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa for 1/2 cup powdered sugar. I also added in some chocolate syrup for good measure (my sisters are both chocoholics LOL).

I also followed some of the tips in another thread, and what Cat mentioned above, and beat the shortening for approximately 10 minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients. I also heat up the cream that I put in. I have also been known to use 1 stick (1/2 cup) of butter in place of some of the shortening. I have made this into champagne frosting. This recipe is PHENOMENAL no matter what I do to it.

THANK YOU INDYDEBI!!!

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:57am
post #13 of 21

I too tried it for our 4th of July cake. It held up great!! And our AC is broken so the house was nice and toasty. I frosted the cake on Saturday and finished decorating it on Sunday. It is my new favorite icing. I think it tastes like the filling of an Oreo cookie...soooo yummy!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:05am
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaK38

Does anyone know how you make chocolate buttercream with this recipe? Just add some cocoa powder in place of a little bit of the sugar?
Thanks!

i use 8oz melted bittersweet chocolate per batch and add extra milk to thin it down -- will be very stiff. I prefer Ghirardelli chocolate.

and I've also added choco syrup on top of the melted chocolate

AND I've also added cocoa powder on top of the melted and syrup too

(there is NO such thing as too much chocolate!)

D_CielCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D_CielCakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:10am
post #15 of 21

I also have to pay tribute to indydebi, her bc was a life saver for a client's summer wedding cake. A bohemoth of a cake, in the summer and the bride & groom insisted on bc!!!! Only indydebi's recipe could stand the test!!!!

SO THANK YOU... oh master of cakes!!!!

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:19am
post #16 of 21

I made this for this first time this week myself and I LOVE it!!! I whipped the crisco for 15 minutes, added everything, then whipped it for 15-20 minutes more (I made a double batch so it was alot of work for my poor little mixer)! DH tasted it and we both agreed that it's like whipped cream in frosting form...yummy! So incredibly smooth and easy to work with. I think this is going to be the base of pretty much every flavor BC I can think of icon_smile.gif

So a big thank you to Indydebi from me as well icon_smile.gif

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:28am
post #17 of 21

Well I'll tell ya, I had my doubts when I first read the recipe. Indydebi's recipe is a life saver. <<<<<<My chef hat off to the queen of bc>>>>>>>I am proud to say that I thinned it out and did some string work with it. It's crusts do beautifully that I'm thinking about doing some Lamebth work with it and see if it works. Your the bomb indydebi!!!

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:39am
post #18 of 21

Seriously, it's the ONLY buttercream I use. Filling and crumbcoat under fondant. I use vanilla bean seeds from my homemade vanilla and call it vanilla-bean-buttercream. I owe EVERYTHING to Indy. Can't say enough good things about the recipe...and the chef! Thank you Indydebi!!!!!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:53am
post #19 of 21

What about those blasted air bubbles??? I know that with some of the famous BC's on this site you are supposed to have the beater blade buried in the BC. I always get air bubbles no matter what I do. So how does Indy's fare when it comes to bubbles? Does beating the snot out of the Crisco and then beating it like crazy again take care of the air bubbles?

Can you use Hi Ratio with this recipe or use half Crisco and half Hi Ratio???? I have a ton of Hi Ratio in my freezer.

Thanks.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:35am
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

What about those blasted air bubbles??? I know that with some of the famous BC's on this site you are supposed to have the beater blade buried in the BC. I always get air bubbles no matter what I do. So how does Indy's fare when it comes to bubbles? Does beating the snot out of the Crisco and then beating it like crazy again take care of the air bubbles?

Can you use Hi Ratio with this recipe or use half Crisco and half Hi Ratio???? I have a ton of Hi Ratio in my freezer.

Thanks.

I don't own a KA and my Sunbeam doesn't even have a beater blade attachment. I always make a double batch so that my beaters are pretty much buried in the buttercream, so maybe that's why I don't have problems with air bubbles. I do beat my Crisco for at least 15 minutes before adding any other ingredients and I let my mixer run for at least 20 minutes after all of the powdered sugar has been incorporated..so I'd say I beat my icing for at least 35-40 minutes from start to finish. I have to say that I do prefer using Crisco in this recipe. I've used other shortenings and I like Crisco the best. The taste is better and the icing seems to be creamier. I haven't used ALL of the shortenings out there but of all that I've tried I have to say that Crisco gives the best results.

I use the "viva method" and I can get it as smooth as fondant. This is "hands down" the BEST buttercream icing recipe I've ever tried. Not only does it hold up to extreme heat and humidity, which for me is a HUGE issue but it is so "user friendly" thumbs_up.gif ...AND it taste wonderful. I've actually had someone ask me IF I used shortening in my icing.....Yeah..it's that good.. SO once again thank you Indydebi for sharing this recipe....I agree you're the "buttercream queen" thumbs_up.gif [/url]

mommafixit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommafixit Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:15pm
post #21 of 21

Ok, my turn to bow to the master. I made a wedding cake this past weekend. It was the first time I used IndyDebi's buttercream. I just talked to the mother of the bride. She said everyone loved it so much she didn't even get a piece of the wedding cake. She had a piece set to the side, someone snuck off with it. lol. I do have one question. I think the icing crusted a little to hard and to fast. Should I increase the Crisco a little to help with this next time? And if so, how much? Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%