Help! To All Small Town Cupcake Business Owners

Business By Artsygurl Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 7:26pm by luvbuttercream

Artsygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Artsygurl Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 2

Hi! This question is mainly directed at anyone operating an at home cupcake business in a small area/town.

I'm tossing around the idea of starting an at home cupcake business. For my business, I would go above and beyond the average cupcake by specializing in specialty flavors and decorating them to look like high-class gourmet cupcakes. My problem is, and this is where I need the opinions of cupcake business owners in small towns, the price of these cupcakes would have to be on the expensive side to make a profit since I would be using special ingredients. The median average income in my area is around $26,000-32,000 per year. You can see this is pretty low and many people don't have the extra money to spend "only on cupcakes." Do you think I would be asking too much if I wanted to charge around $28-30 per dozen. I'm afraid I wouldn't have any business since those figures seem pretty steep.

Small town bakers-
So you have any problems charging what you need to make a profit due to the low-income area you're working in?
Do you struggle to find any business?

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you!!

icon_smile.gif

1 reply
luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 2

I live in a fairly small town and I charge $30 for 1 dozen custom decorated cupcakes. I have actually been fairly busy and I just recently started selling them. So I think you should give it a shot. Fortunately doing it out of your home the expense isn't too large and it isn't a huge deal if it doesn't work out. See what happens and you may be surprised.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%