Gumpaste Stretching/tearing- How Do I Fix It?

Baking By happycakesbysarah Updated 21 Jan 2013 , 2:20am by elaine6480

happycakesbysarah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happycakesbysarah Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 5:43am
post #1 of 5

I attempted to make my own gumpaste. (New to this) It is stretching and tearing after I roll it out and try and lift it off my mat. It is not sticking... more stretching too much and then tearing off (making roses). The storebought gumpaste is working so I am not sure what to do for mine? Add more powdered sugar? Any suggestions? Maybe I just need to start over with a new batch? It is 74 in our house, is it too hot? Help please!?

4 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 8:52am
post #2 of 5

did you let it rest before trying to work with it. HM gum paste should rest for 24 hours to let the gums develop.

happycakesbysarah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happycakesbysarah Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 5

I let it rest. What else should I try to do?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 5

Perhaps it needs more gums added to it. Its hard to say when i can't feel the paste myself. You say its stretchy, does it feel soft (compare to your store bought) if so then add some more powdered sugar. I don't think the temp of your house is effecting it. If you have a lot of humidity it would start getting sticky and melty

elaine6480 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elaine6480 Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 2:20am
post #5 of 5

my problem was mine was too dry.im not sure if the egg was not enough because i used not too much big for a large egg. i tried to knead it but it was really hard so i just use crisco i was ok but still its not good enough to roll it.help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%