Has Elaborate Piping Gone Out Of Favor In The Usa?

Decorating By KayMc Updated 11 Aug 2010 , 10:31pm by Joyfull4444

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:14am
post #31 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occther

I agree with lecrn - Buddy on is definitely very skilled at piping!! Love to watch him when he is into the details!!

I've been watching a Cake Boss marathon on TLC today and he did that Marie Antoinette cake. Wow! He is definitely incredible. I was in awe watching him do all that freehand.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:18am
post #32 of 103

Just thought I'd add a wee bit more. Click on slide show to see it at its best. I can only wish to ever do such fabulous work!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosey_sugar_palace/sets/72157614949546541/

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:01am
post #33 of 103

I LOVE seeing all the deicate piping work. IMO, that is true decorating. I don't know that I will ever be that good, but just seeing it done is amazing. (not taking anything away from the fondant cakes) but there is just no comparison.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:56am
post #34 of 103

I agree. Piping is true cake decorating. I love it and still love to do piping.

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:41am
post #35 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

gefion said........ have taken upon myself to make Lambeth popular. Time will tell if I succeed.........

Oh, oh now I'm in trouble. It's one of your cakes I'm basing my design on icon_sad.gif I hope I can come close to such beautiful work.

I have one chocolate modified Lambeth design in my pix......and the one based on Cile's work icon_smile.gif

That's so cool! If you need any help, I'm just a PM away.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:35am
post #36 of 103

amamzing...

tipsytaartje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tipsytaartje Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:35pm
post #37 of 103

I can only speak for my own country: the Netherlands
We've known this kind of cake-decorating for only a few years, let's say 10-15 years, and the last 2-3 years it is booming here and the hype is still going up, if that's a correct phrase to say it.
I think because of that, there are not so much people who know how to pipe so beautifully as in the photo's shown here. And on the other side, those piped cakes, have an image here, that those cake are kind of English/American/ may be old fashioned and in Holland not much people like that.
If I have contact with a couple for a weddingcake, I always send them the link of cakecentral and let them see what is possible. I they see those piped cake, they skip the photo immediately, it's the same with the buttercream cakes. All of the couples say "buttercream?? A cake covered only in cream?? Yaiks!!"
So, it not quiet know here and I think it is not going to be... but that's my opinion

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:09pm
post #38 of 103

Gefion,
AWESOME piping! Your Lambeth cakes are spectacular! The gold-edged icing is gorgeous! Thanks for keeping that skill alive.

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:48pm
post #39 of 103

I am truly awed by those piped cakes and it got me a bit intrigued. I whipped up some royal icing today and decided to give it a whirl. What's the worst that could happen right??

So the smallest tips I have are Wilton #'s 2 & 3. Used #3 for the bridge and #2 for the strings. I think I kinda got the hang of it. You can clearly see the wonkier lines when I just started. But I need some tips from the experts. ..

How do you get the lines to stay straight in the crosshatch type designs?

Is it worth it trying to do it with a tip smaller than #2?? The thought of something as fine as a 00 blows my mind.

Any other feedback would be more than welcome.
LL
LL
LL

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:08pm
post #40 of 103

Ok here is what I use (from an old time gal who learned this years ago). I use a RI with egg whites only. Then I seive the icing thru a new pair of stocking to make it smooth smooth. Then I use only 00-0-1 tubes. I make the parchment paper small so I can hold it like a pencil (extension of my hand kinda thing). When doing the bridge for your extention it goes like this if using #1 tube>>>you would make your bridge 7 deep. If your using the #00 or #0 tube you make the bridge 11 deep. Let that dry and then do the extensions. The extensions should be equaly apart, the space between extensions should be the same size as your tip. Hope this helps.......practise makes perfect. Soon you will see how easy it realy is.

thatslifeca Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:12pm
post #41 of 103

1 more thing I forgot to add. I usualy order my tubes from the UK because I prefer to use only PME tips next to wilton tips. The pme smaller tubes are designed for this kind of work in mind and the icing seems to come out in a straight line more then the wilton tips. Ok, know I think I'm done. Sorry.

sweet_honesty Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:18pm
post #42 of 103

No need to be sorry. You actually just answered my next question...Does Wilton make a size 00 tip.

I guess I got it partway right...I used only egg white for the icing. Unfortunately the only tips I can get easily are Wilton. I guess I'll have to make those do for now.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:22pm
post #43 of 103

Thatslifeca,
Do you have a website or link for where you buy your tips? I'm not familiar with that company. Thanks.

Joyfull4444 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:25pm
post #44 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

1 more thing I forgot to add. I usualy order my tubes from the UK because I prefer to use only PME tips next to wilton tips. The pme smaller tubes are designed for this kind of work in mind and the icing seems to come out in a straight line more then the wilton tips. Ok, know I think I'm done. Sorry.

Hi thatslifeca, I'm in Canada also. Can I ask who you order your PME tips through? I purchase items from squires, but fine the shipping a bit high at times. I'd be interested in other UK suppliers that might be a bit more reasonable.
Thank so much

sweet_honesty Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:27pm
post #45 of 103

PME is a very common brand. You can find their things on sale at lots of different websites. I have used this company in the past to order while in and outside of the UK and I've had no issues.

http://www.design-a-cake.co.uk/

HTH

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:34pm
post #46 of 103

I use PME also, they are a seamless tip, unlike Wilton, so I have much more control with the tip. I love doing Lambeth style cakes and also hope it makes a comeback. I don't want piping to be lost, so hopefully it will be back in a few years. I've done 1 DVD on a baby cake using Lambeth syle (2 more coming out soon). But you are right, no one wants to pay for the work involved. But you can pipe some of these in a few hours or a day, so it's not too all life consuming.

For the extension work, I use a hypodermic needle which is soldered into my cake tip, probably like a 00 or 000. Got it at ICES 15 years ago. But I'd never do that for anything or anyone, stictly a showpiece.

As for Buddy, he's pretty incredible and completely right. You get in a 'zone' and it's supposed to be relaxing to pipe (like making gumpaste flowers is too). icon_biggrin.gif

sweet_honesty Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:46pm
post #47 of 103

A hypodermic needle??????? icon_eek.gif Wow...

Joyfull4444 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:52pm
post #48 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_honesty

A hypodermic needle??????? icon_eek.gif Wow...

I thought the same thing!

Holy smokes sweetflowers, that has to be very hard to pipe through!

thatslifeca Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:52pm
post #49 of 103
Quote:

PME is a very common brand. You can find their things on sale at lots of different websites. I have used this company in the past to order while in and outside of the UK and I've had no issues.

http://www.design-a-cake.co.uk/

HTH

Thanks sweet_honesty....that is also where I get my tips from. I also try my best to go to the ices when ever I can, always someone there to buy pme tips from. Global arts also sell them. Also if you look up Knightsbridge of UK, they will sell and ship to Canada also. Those are all the one's I can think of right now. oh yes and can't forget ebay, they sell a lot pme stuff. Look under cake decorating tips. Hope that helps. Also Nickolas Lodge's books have a lot of great info about doing this type of work. He also gives great tips on how to make RI for use in extension work. If anyone has more questions I'm always just a pm away icon_smile.gif

Joyfull4444 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:21pm
post #50 of 103

Sweet_honesty you might enjoy this link. Bit of info on extension work. The photos should enlarge when you click on them.

http://www.paulinescakes.com/2010/04/australian-string-work-rolls-royce-of.html

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:26pm
post #51 of 103

I took a class in the Lambeth method a couple of months ago. I have a lot of practicing to do. It is very time consuming and it really wears out your hand. It is so beautiful though. I heard that Toba Garrett sells cakes like this for $10,000. I am American so I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but overall I don't think the average American cake consumer has any appreciation for this type of cake. I love it. The girls in the class with me complained the whole day about how old and ugly "those" cakes are. They said that they wanted to learn something new and not that "ancient" stuff from the 1800s. Obviously they didn't understand what the Lambeth class was when they signed up or they just needed some CE credits.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:30pm
post #52 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfull4444

Quote:

The Lambeth method is sooooooooooo very time consuming very few will do it.
I'm getting ready to try one for my county fair in 2 weeks.

I love looking at cakes with the old style piping, the intricate designs, the Lambeth method, all of it. It truly is becoming a lost art which is a shame. I hope you post pictures of your entry, kakeladi, I'd love to see it!

I have something I think you'll enjoy and remember quite well. Not the how to do part, you're a pro at that anyway. Its the cake and the decorator. You mention her in one of your posted cake photo's.

Click on the link, then click on Cile's kitchen. icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.pem.org/sites/weddedbliss/

Joyfull - that is so wonderful! It is how I was taught to make roses including the method of folding down the bag vs. twisting and squeezing. My friends who decorate look at me like I'm crazy when I fold my bag down!

sweet_honesty Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:42pm
post #53 of 103

Thanks for the tutorial Joyfull4444. I somehow think I have a loooooooooooooooong way to go before I get there..... I'll just keep making baby steps in the meantime.

Joyfull4444 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:17am
post #54 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:

Quote:

I love looking at cakes with the old style piping, the intricate designs, the Lambeth method, all of it. It truly is becoming a lost art which is a shame. I hope you post pictures of your entry, kakeladi, I'd love to see it!

I have something I think you'll enjoy and remember quite well. Not the how to do part, you're a pro at that anyway. Its the cake and the decorator. You mention her in one of your posted cake photo's.

Joyfull - that is so wonderful! It is how I was taught to make roses including the method of folding down the bag vs. twisting and squeezing. My friends who decorate look at me like I'm crazy when I fold my bag down!

Isn't Cile Burbidge great! I've kept that link for ages just to look every once in a while at that incredible cake & Cile's hand work. Theres isn't much of her work online which is too bad as she did such incredible cakes. There is a display of Cile Burbidge's cakes at the Culinary Arts museum in Providence, Rhode Island though. Doubt I'd ever get there, just too far away, but maybe you could!

Joyfull4444 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:34am
post #55 of 103
Quote:

Thanks for the tutorial Joyfull4444. I somehow think I have a loooooooooooooooong way to go before I get there..... I'll just keep making baby steps in the meantime.

sweet_honesty, I think your baby step pictures are awesome for a first try! I could not do that on my first try nor my second nor my third.

Strings, piped designs, for me, do not work, they would never stay on my cake. Strings do not like me at all. icon_mad.gif
I gave up trying a long time ago. I just look and wish instead.

But you've got a good grip on it already. If you keep up with practicing this, I bet you'll have it mastered a lot faster than you think! thumbs_up.gif

sweetflowers Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:49am
post #56 of 103

[quote="Joyfull4444"][quote="sweet_honesty"]A hypodermic needle??????? icon_eek.gif Wow...[/quote]

I thought the same thing!

Holy smokes sweetflowers, that has to be very hard to pipe through![/quote]

LOL! It's not that bad really. I use the egg white royal same as you, with the clean stocking to strain it and a tiny bit of piping gel to help it flow better and for less breakage. I was surprised that I could squeeze it through. Kerry Walsh at ICES was the one who demo'd it and was just phenominal. The key is to keep the bag small so your hand won't tire out, and don't refil, start with a fresh batch as the royal will break down from the heat of your hand.

I sure hope people start to learn this stuff again...I'm starting to feel old

sweet_honesty Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:00pm
post #57 of 103

So piping gel will help with breakage? About how much should I add per egg white? I had a go again today and my wrist has just about had it. Had some icing consistency issues at first but I still couldn't pipe anything longer than a 2 inch strand.

sweetflowers Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:31pm
post #58 of 103

I make my icing to soft peak consistency maybe a little stiffer since I am adding gel. I add about 1/4 tsp of piping gel to 1 cup of frosting, mix gently. Then I paddle my icing to get rid of the air bubbles. Then load into the stocking to strain and into a small bag. I'm talking about a 7" parchment folded into a cone, use the small tip with no coupler and I fold the bag and hold it like a pencil. but everyone is different. Never fill the bag more than half full or your hand will get tired too fast.

Good luck and keep at it.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:56pm
post #59 of 103
Quote:

Quote:

Holy Crap!! That is amazing and what a gorgeous cake! Such intricate work. I can only dream of doing that.

I love looking at cakes with the old style piping, the intricate designs, all of that!! It is unfortunate that it's becoming a lost art which is a major shame. I love learning new piping techniques and plan on practicing more!!

sweet_honesty Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:13pm
post #60 of 103

Thanks sweetflowers. Hope you don't mind me picking your brain like this. But any tips on the scrollwork? I was looking for tutorials online and found precious few.
Hopefully that will be a little less stressful on my wrist than those strings.....or is that just wishful thinking........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%