How Do I Get My Modeling Chocolate To Be More Stable?

Baking By QueenDisney20 Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 9:48pm by shari22

QueenDisney20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenDisney20 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:56am
post #1 of 5

Hi all!! This is the first time I have ever worked with modeling chocolate. I don't want to waste my batch. I am trying to mold a baseball mitt on top of a cake. I live in florida and my hands are quite warm. I was a bit disheartened to find that when I was trying to mold my chocolate it just didn't seem very stable or it wouldn't hold its shape. How can I fix this? I was thinking of adding some ready-made fondant to it. I am making a cake for my best friend's son's 1st b-day and so excited and hoping it comes out really nice! Anyone have any ideas that can help a newbie?? Any help will be sooooo greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!! usaribbon.gif

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 3:11am
post #2 of 5

When you made it, did you squeeze out most of the liquid before wrapping for storage? If you didn't, it will be harder to work with.

When it's hot and your hands are hot, you need to work quickly for short periods. Most chocolates melt between 82 & 100 degreesF. The only thing you can do is cool your hands and/or cool the piece, go back to it, repeat.

Rae

QueenDisney20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenDisney20 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:51am
post #3 of 5

Thank u for your reply blakes. I didn't even know you could squeeze out any liquid from it. I just poured it right onto the platic wrap. Maybe I just put too much corn syrup also. I will just have to be patient as you said, thanku!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:59am
post #4 of 5

If you can afford the time, and possible loss of product should it not succeed, I have successfully re-melted modeling chocolate in the microwave (short burst at 50%, stir, repeat), let it cool very slightly so that I could handle it, and then squeezed it out. I then let it set up again and it was good as new.

HTH
Rae

shari22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shari22 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 5

Rae, that's some great advice! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%