Spacing Accents Evenly On Cake

Decorating By tsal Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 1:16pm by FullHouse

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,

is there a tip someone could give me as to how to space accents (like polka dots) around the sides of a cake?

I just did a 3-tier round cake with flowers surrounding one tier (pic in profile) and polka dots surrounding the bottom tier. I eyeballed it and I know it wasn't perfect but I'm a hobby baker and it was a free cake so I didn't beat myself up over it.

How do you pros do it? This goes for anything (piped dots, scrolls, etc).

8 replies
slockhar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slockhar Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 9

I'm definitely not a pro, still a newbie myself but I was told to put one accent and follow with one on the opposite side of the cake and keep doing it from side to side. There may be a lot better ideas out there though!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 9

For stripes I do it that way, the opposite sides of the cake then divide that in half and half again, etc.

Spots and flowers and etc, I just eyeball it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 9

I view the cake as a clock and eyeball it that way. I may place decors at 12-2-4-6 or place them at 12-3-6, etc.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 9

For bigger trims that you need evenly spaced on a round cake, take a roll of calculator/register paper - measure out the outside diameter of your cake and cut the paper to that size, then start folding it however many times you need the pattern repeated. That will give you a really good estimate on how to space things.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 9
tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks, everyone!! I love the idea of that mat!

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 12:07am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

For bigger trims that you need evenly spaced on a round cake, take a roll of calculator/register paper - measure out the outside diameter of your cake and cut the paper to that size, then start folding it however many times you need the pattern repeated. That will give you a really good estimate on how to space things.

Love this idea! I never thought of that. I actually have a sewing gauge with a slider on it for measurement. Set the 0 on your cake board and run with your tip at whatever measure ment you need for height. Set it on it's side for the left to right stuff. And I always start at the back of the cake in case I measure wrong and the design doesn't match up quite right when I get back to the beginning.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:16pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I actually use the Wilton dividing mat. http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30D66E-475A-BAC0-57C5D7D262D8EE2D&killnav=1

Me too. Easy peasy, just rest the cake on the matand line up your accents accordingly. Also imprint mat works great for dots.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%