Doll - Mermaid Cake

Decorating By anjaligg Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 10:18am by jennicita

anjaligg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anjaligg Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 7

I have to make a mermaid cake similar to as in the following link

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Miss-Mermaid-Cake

The cake will be gluten-free. It'll be a 10" cake with the 8" wonder mold on the top.

My question is how to support the cake.

I was wondering if I should slice the wonder mold cake into two layers and support the layers with a dowel. Would the wonder mold cake collapse if I didn't do that?

6 replies
jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 7

I have made a few doll cakes now and have not used any internal support apart from the doll. I wrap her legs in clingfilm (I think this is called sarawrap in the US) and shoved her in the cake.

anjaligg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anjaligg Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:33am
post #3 of 7

Should there be any support between the 10" and the wonder mold (i.e. cake board)?? Thanks.

Anjaligg

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 2:08am
post #4 of 7

You do not need to cut the wonder mold cake, just do an opening for you to insert the doll, it is nicer to insert a complete doll instead of the pick doll(wrap in plastic film).
that way the child will also have a toy after they finish the cake. icon_smile.gif To be on the safe side, yes put support and cakeboard underneath.You will be decorating it, and will be heavier.
good luck thumbs_up.gif
CIAO

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 2:35am
post #5 of 7

I have made several doll cakes and haven't needed to use supports either.The cake is dense enough.I too also use a whole Barbie doll and wrap the laegs and waist in saran wrap and shove her down and in.If you just bake the wondermold and use a standard size Barbie doll the doll is too tall for the wonder mold.That is why I add an extra 8 inch layer as it allows for her full length.Works everytime and is sturdy.

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 8:04am
post #6 of 7

I did a doll cake on top of a larger round recently and I did use an 8" cardboard round between the skirt and the bottom cake, with some cut-down lollipop sticks underneath for support. Just in case. I used a pick, not a whole doll, and put a thick dam and layer of filling underneath the wonder mold cake to increase the height of the skirt a little (the proportions just don't look right otherwise). But no, you don't need dowels, and the wonder mold cake itself won't collapse under its own weight. icon_smile.gif

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 10:18am
post #7 of 7

I've done several doll cakes using the wondermold and always put a 1-layer round underneath for height. I've never used support and never had a problem. If I were doing 2 layers underneath I might think about it, though. Actually you'd have to make a hole in the cardboard round for the legs to go through, now that I come to think of it.

Recently I've been thinking about how a mermaid cake should be constructed and it seems to me that you'd really need Barbie's bottom (if you're using a real one, which looks better) sticking out of the cake so you can build up the tail and make it actually look like she's sitting on a rock instead of sinking into it. That means that you might not even need the extra height - at least not for the proportions to look right. If you need the extra cake then I probably wouldn't put her all the way down to the bottom.

Just my 2 cents' worth!

Just a little food for thought...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%