Crumb Coat Question

Baking By Temple09 Updated 4 Jul 2010 , 6:38am by bmoser24

Temple09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Temple09 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:16am
post #1 of 7

I just got started with the cake decorating "scene" and am about to start my 2nd cake. My mom told me about a crumb coat that consists of jelly, water and powdered sugar, but couldn't find the recipe anywhere! I've searched online but nothing. Does anyone know what it is or have a good crumb coat recipe? Thank you very much. icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:37am
post #2 of 7

Some people coat their cake in an apricot glaze in place of the buttercream. You melt apricot preserves, strain it, then brush over the surface of the cake. Allow the surface to get tacky before placing the fondant on the cake. I haven't tried this yet.

Ingredients:
1 cup apricot preserves
Makes: Glaze covers a 10 x 4 in. cake.

instructions
Heat preserves to boiling; strain. Brush on cake while still hot. Let dry. Glaze will dry to a hard finish in 15 or less.

Temple09 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:41am
post #3 of 7

Ok, so that wouldn't be able to work with buttercream? I don't know how to do fondant yet, but hopefully soon!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:45am
post #4 of 7

Just use your regular buttercream for the crumb coat. You can thin it a little bit, but I don't. Put it on the cake like you were buttering bread. It's okay if the crumbs come up in it, that's what it's for. Then let that thin coat crust and then put the thicker layer of buttercream over it.

My mom used to talk about crumbcoats with apricot preserves under buttercream...but she had never tried it.

Temple09 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:48am
post #5 of 7

Ok, I will try that. Thank you very much! icon_biggrin.gif

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:50am
post #6 of 7

I crumb coat with my buttercream everytime... fill cake the take SMBC and do a very very thin coat to seal in the crumbs and what not... then i place in fridge for it to get hard... really makes it come out alot nicer. then i frost as normal not matter if its just a buttercream cake, or fondant covered...
i never heard of a jelly glaze thing... but this works great for me! hth!

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 6:38am
post #7 of 7

My understanding is, crumb coat is just a thin layer of BC, usually thinner than top coat. Some call it dirty icing. This happens to help contain loose cake crumbs. After it crusts, then put thicker, stiffer layer on to get a smooth finish. Don't mess with crumb coat while doing this.
Now you can use, and i do, a simple sugar syrup (made different ways, using different flavors) to put directly on cake first, before crum coat. this keeps cake moist.
The jam method, or preserves, is used usually when ganache is used undr fondant, instead of BC. This helps the fondant stick.
There are so many ways, and it changes depending where you are from. I try many different ideas, as long as i know why..i'm doing it.
Have lots of fun! HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%