Goodwill Was Good To Me Today!

Decorating By Polkadot79 Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 5:34pm by Polkadot79

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:58am
post #1 of 22

I lucked up on several great finds at Goodwill today...from all over Atlanta.

Martha Stewart Copper Alphabet Cookie Set (minus the T but easily created using the I or L) -- $10 (ebay has one listed for $259.99!! crazy seller)

Sifter
Silver Cake Plate
Set of 3 Different Sized Springform Pans
Pampered Chef Halloween Cookie Cutters

21 replies
Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:29am
post #2 of 22

Gotta love a great find!

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:37am
post #3 of 22

OH MAN!! mine NEVER have stuff like that!! LOL COngrats!!

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:52am
post #4 of 22

WooHoo! Love thrift stores and garage sales! icon_smile.gif Congratulations!

Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 7:58am
post #5 of 22

Very Cool!!! One person's junk, is another person's treasure...I luv thrift stores.....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 9:41am
post #6 of 22

I luv goodwill! Bought a $3 purse there one day and got home & found 2 quarters inside of it!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 10:23am
post #7 of 22

The last purse I bought at Goodwill for $4 was selling online for $500 icon_biggrin.gif

It's a great place to get kids clothes too...all the relatives wonder how my kids have so many clothes, but it's my secret.

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 11:09am
post #8 of 22

Wow, great finds! I've gotten lots of good things at thrift stores and garage sales too.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 11:36am
post #9 of 22

My best thrift store find was when I happened into a thrift store (not goodwill) and they were having a 75% off sale. I didn't find this out until I got to the register with a lot of antique china pieces. I had about 10-12 pcs and paid a grand total of $3.72 for the whole she-bang. I was just starting out collecting antique china so I had an elementary knowledge of knowing what 'marks' to look for.

Sold just ONE of the pieces on ebay for fifty bucks. By the time I sold all of them, I'd made about $200-$250 profit.

Oh yeah ..... LUV thrift shops! thumbs_up.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 11:57am
post #10 of 22

My first magic line pan (12" square) came from a thrift store for 25 cents! It was perfect and once I used it I was hooked. Wish I could find more like that!! I keep looking!!!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:12pm
post #11 of 22

I found a small Bosch mixer last year for only $2.50!! I love thrift stores, garage sales--you name it!!

I checked out the eBay listing on the cookie cutters--surely she meant to list at $25.99 and just got carried away?!!????? Shipping seems high on that set too.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:51pm
post #12 of 22

I have 3 nearby. I keep finding Carnival glass there priced from $2-$4. I once told them what it was and that they were way underpricing it but they keep doing it so I keep buying it. I just rearranged my china cabinet to display them.

I also buy Wilton character pans there even though I'll probably never use them. It's a compulsion or something. LOL Last week I got 2 He-Man pans (one to give to a buddy) and a Harry Potter for $2 each. I'm trolling the stores for the next month looking for stuff to outfit my son's first apartment. Why buy new when I'm fairly sure it's going to get lost/broken/trashed/abused?

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:30pm
post #13 of 22

My mom purchased a pair of work pants from there and found a hundred dollar bill in the front pocket, folded into a small square.

She was convinced it was counterfeit, because she couldn't imagine that the workers didn't check all pockets prior to selling.
These pockets were unusually long though, and it was at the very bottom tip...anyway after much checking on-line, she realized that the bill had all the correct markings.

She still would only use it at a store she frequents almost daily because she knew they would go easy on her and believe her about where she got it, if it did turn out to be phony.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:32pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I luv goodwill! Bought a $3 purse there one day and got home & found 2 quarters inside of it!

This totally made me laugh...you are too cute!

Now the china set...that's good!!!!

At one time I was into going to thrift stores and looking for name brand kids clothes for a couple bucks and reselling on Ebay for $15-$20 but it was too hard to find enough good stuff to make it worth it.

Polkadot79 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 7:20pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

I checked out the eBay listing on the cookie cutters--surely she meant to list at $25.99 and just got carried away?!!????? Shipping seems high on that set too.

LOL I thought so as well...but some ebay sellers are a bit icon_confused.gif

My sis and I make frequent Goodwill trips to either Jacksonville or Atlanta. They have tons within 15 minutes of each other. We went to about 8 yesterday! I love vintage purses and shoes...have found great treasures at them. Got an antique mirror with nice decorative frame yesterday for my house along with several other odds and ends.

Polkadot79 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 7:21pm
post #16 of 22

Oh yeah, almost forgot -- I got a Vera Bradley Raspberry Fizz Hipster bag with the tags still on it for $5!!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 11:50pm
post #17 of 22

Wow, all good deals here! I went to a Goodwill store for the first time the other week with my mom. I had been wanting to get a mirror with an extendable arm to mount to my bathroom wall for a while and kept my eye out while I was at the store.

Finally by the registers I spotted one. Still in the packaging from Ikea too! The sticker said $6.99. So, out of curiosity, I whipped out my iPhone and pulled up the ikea website to see how much I was saving. Ikea was selling it for $4.99!

I might stop back at a Goodwill sometime to look for some cake pans though.

KCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCC Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 12:21am
post #18 of 22

Now I have to brag about my latest find! I got 8 heavy wooden chairs for $40 bucks and painted them black, refinished my 20 year old table and now everyone asks where did I get the NEW dining set!! I always look for anything I can make something else out of.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:25am
post #19 of 22

Man, I need to go to Goodwill lol . Haven't been there in years...

Polkadot79 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 3:53am
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Wow, all good deals here! I went to a Goodwill store for the first time the other week with my mom. I had been wanting to get a mirror with an extendable arm to mount to my bathroom wall for a while and kept my eye out while I was at the store.

Finally by the registers I spotted one. Still in the packaging from Ikea too! The sticker said $6.99. So, out of curiosity, I whipped out my iPhone and pulled up the ikea website to see how much I was saving. Ikea was selling it for $4.99!

You have to be careful especially with new items. The workers at most Goodwills don't have a clue about alot of namebrands and price ranges. The Goodwills here in south GA have a lot of new Target items due to a nearby Target Distribution Center. It's ridiculous the prices Goodwill will put on some of those items.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 5:38am
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkadot79

Quote:

You have to be careful especially with new items. The workers at most Goodwills don't have a clue about alot of namebrands and price ranges. The Goodwills here in south GA have a lot of new Target items due to a nearby Target Distribution Center. It's ridiculous the prices Goodwill will put on some of those items.

They're doing that here too...sometimes you'll hear people joking in Target by the clearance racks "Better buy it now before it goes to Goodwill and they double the price!"

Even worse, the Goodwill here has started taking the nicer stuff and putting it in a different section of the store. They tag it "Julia's Attic" and their signs say that the Julia's attic stuff is donations from the Junior League, which they seem to think justifies outrageous prices.

Still the best place for kids' clothes though icon_biggrin.gif (as long as the junior league didn't own them first anyhow).

Polkadot79 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 5:34pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkadot79

Quote:

They're doing that here too...sometimes you'll hear people joking in Target by the clearance racks "Better buy it now before it goes to Goodwill and they double the price!"

Even worse, the Goodwill here has started taking the nicer stuff and putting it in a different section of the store. They tag it "Julia's Attic" and their signs say that the Julia's attic stuff is donations from the Junior League, which they seem to think justifies outrageous prices.

Still the best place for kids' clothes though icon_biggrin.gif (as long as the junior league didn't own them first anyhow).

lol about the Target comments.

They do the "special" section here as well. Funny thing to me is that alot of times they don't have a clue about really nice name brands. They'll have some cheap item on that rack just because it has a price tag on it and a designer skirt hanging on the rack amongst all the other stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%