Real Flowers On A Wedding Cake

Decorating By inspireddecorator Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 12:16pm by babapeela

inspireddecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspireddecorator Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:55am
post #1 of 4

I have been asked to use real flowers on top a wedding cake. Do I have something made by a florest and just sit it on top of the cake? Or is there something special that I put the flowers in that are inserted into the cake?

Just not too sure as I usually can talk the customer into sugar flowers.

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Sandy

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:00am
post #2 of 4

The bride should provide the flowers. You can give her a list of flowers that are safe to use on food. She can order the cake flowers from the florist who's doing the other wedding flowers, or if she's making her own bouquet, she can just buy extra flowers for the cake. You can buy flower spikes to insert into the cake, and then put the stems into those. Some of them have caps so you can put water to keep flowers fresh. They sell the flower spikes at the craft store in the cake decorating aisle.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 2:47am
post #3 of 4

Yes, the bride should arrange with the florest what is wanted; you and the florist should talk as to what time and where the cake will be delivered and let the florist arrange.
There are drawbacks to doing it this way and drawbacks to you arranging them. Even though I took 2 semesters of floral arranging I still did not have the 'knack' to do it. However, there were many times I would cringe when a florist or their assistant would stick bare stems right into the cake! icon_sad.gif
When a bride would mention wanting fresh flowers I would explain that in order for them to be sooooo perfect they had been treated with pesticides; did they want poision on/in their cake? And many flowers themselves are poisionous - even florists do not agree on which ones are safe and which are not!
Then you have to watch out for flowers from 'aunt Sidney's' yard! They will have bugs that will come out 10-30 minutes after they are arranged on the cake to crawl all over it! icon_sad.gif

babapeela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babapeela Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:16pm
post #4 of 4

I had a three-tier chocolate cake, covered with chocolate ganache, decorated with real red roses. All the florist did was to wrap the stems in cling film before poking them into the cake. It looked beautiful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%