Wasc

Baking By awatterson Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 1:21am by kakeladi

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 20

Is there any way to get a regular WASC to rise as much as a chocolate WASC does?

19 replies
FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 20

i have been looking for a recipe for a chocolate WASC cake . do you have one you would like to share

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 20

Don't know if this will do it for you...I don't use any oil...Butter! after all, its cake! I whip the butter and add the sugar (extender part) then eggs...I put a small amount of apple sauce (maybe 1/2 of single portion and 1/3 box of pudding.) The come out fairly close in size.

I made a pool cake last week...trying to load now but the pictures came out awful. It was 1/2 WASC & 1/2 Chocolate WASC butted together.

AuntieE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieE Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 20

you can replace some of the liquid with club soda. That will help it rise.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 20

......any way to get a regular WASC to rise as much as a chocolate WASC does?.....
Using my *original* recipe it does. Are you putting enough batter in the pan to begin with? What size pan; how much batter used?

.........been looking for a recipe for a chocolate WASC cake .............

Just use the *original* recipe using a chocolate cake mix! icon_smile.gif

awatterson Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:15am
post #6 of 20

This is the chocolate WASC I use. I use the same amount of batter. I made some lemonade cupcakes with a regular WASC and used 1/4 cup of batter and then today I made the chocolate WASC and I used 1/4 cup and the chocolate ones got bigger.

Chocolate WASC (macsmom's method ) - MacsMom
2 dark chocolate cake mixes
2 c cake flour (gives it a lighter crumb)
2 1/4 c sugar (extra sugar for moistness)
1/3 c cocoa powder
3/4 t salt (less salt because of the cocoa powder)
2 pkg chocolate fudge pudding mixes
8 egg whites or 6 whole eggs
2 c sour cream
2 c coffee
1 c chocolate milk (extra liquid because chocolate mixes tend to be thick)
1/3 c oil
2 t Nielsen Massey's chocolate extract
2 t vanilla or butter extract

awatterson Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:16am
post #7 of 20

Thanks for the ideas.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:57pm
post #8 of 20

Awatterson,
This recipe sounds wonderful, but I was interested in some feedback from someone who's made it. It sounds like it is moist, right? How about the degree of chocolate flavor? I like a rich, dark chocolate - can you rate how chocolately this is? Thanks.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 1:09pm
post #9 of 20

That is the same chocolate WASC recipe I use, and it is very rich and very moist! Everyone loves my chocolate cake (including myself, and I don't usually like chocolate cake)!

I also use kakeladi's original WASC but I don't think I've paid attention to whether or not it rises the same.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 2:32pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

......any way to get a regular WASC to rise as much as a chocolate WASC does?.....
Using my *original* recipe it does. Are you putting enough batter in the pan to begin with? What size pan; how much batter used?

.........been looking for a recipe for a chocolate WASC cake .............

Just use the *original* recipe using a chocolate cake mix! icon_smile.gif

I agree with kakeladi...her WASC recipe is the only one that I use. thumbs_up.gif
The others are too wet and "gummy" for my taste.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 2:59pm
post #11 of 20

I love both the WASC as well as kakeladi's original. I use kakeladi's more often due to not wasting the eggs. I have tried the choc. one listed in another recipe on this site and it didn't taste like choc. goodness like the above recipes taste of vanilla goodness. Mac's Mom's recipe seems to use SO many ingredients. Does choc. cake require THAT many more ingredients? I will be willing to try it, but hate to waste the ingredients if it's just an okay choc. cake. Also, not sure where to get choc. extract.
"I" would appreciate a tried and true recipe as well.
If choc. cake requires more liquid, would just substituting choc. cake boxes to kakeladi's recipe do it?
I know I should try both, but hate to use so many ingredients when I only need one cake right now.
Thank you, and sorry this was so long!

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 3:07pm
post #12 of 20

I would just try the original WASC version by kakeladi and just use the chocolate mix and instead of 1 cup of water, use 1 cup of chocolate milk. I did this for a cake that I did last week and it tasted wonderful. You can also fold in shaved chocolate. Wonderful!

I have also tried the other WASC and I didn't like the fact that it was so gummy. The original has a better crumb to me. JMHO

Less ingredients and a great chocolate flavor! thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 3:21pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcake_cutie

I would just try the original WASC version by kakeladi and just use the chocolate mix and instead of 1 cup of water, use 1 cup of chocolate milk. I did this for a cake that I did last week and it tasted wonderful. You can also fold in shaved chocolate. Wonderful!

I have also tried the other WASC and I didn't like the fact that it was so gummy. The original has a better crumb to me. JMHO

Less ingredients and a great chocolate flavor! thumbs_up.gif

I agree...the "original" has a better...if not perfect...crumb. I also make a chocolate version using kakeladi's recipe. I use the Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix and add 1/2 cup chocolate syrup and 1/2 cup cold coffee for the liquid. Makes a very rich chocolate cake.

snocilla Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 3:21pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

Also, not sure where to get choc. extract.
"I" would appreciate a tried and true recipe as well.

I always just leave the chocolate extract out. And replace it with more vanilla or butter flavor.

awatterson Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 3:37pm
post #15 of 20

I ended up getting the chocolate extract from The Spice House.

Btrfly578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Btrfly578 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 3:38pm
post #16 of 20

I just wrote down *kakeladi's* recipe and I can't wait to try it out. It sounds so yummy.

snocilla Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 3:40pm
post #17 of 20

'The Spice House'? Is that local?

awatterson Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 3:42pm
post #18 of 20

It is in Chicago. They are online and you can order the stuff online. I also got some dutched processed cocoa from there for the cake too.

KayMc, I would rate it at a 9. It is super moist and a very good chocolate flavor.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:24pm
post #19 of 20

Thank you all very much for your responses!! When making choc. cakes I DO substitute coffee in it.
I now do remember I made WASC cake with choc. cake mixes and it didn't turn out. So now I know to use kakeladi's recipe with it instead. When she first posted her recipe, I tried it and was a big promoter of it as it's so delicious! So now I will try it with the choc. box mixes.
Thank you all again for all your tips!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 1:21am
post #20 of 20

............would just substituting choc. cake boxes to kakeladi's recipe do it? ........

So sorry folks I haven't kept up on this thread.
Yes, do just sub choco cake mix (box) in my original recipe.
I do nothing else different.
BUT..........using chocolate milk &/or coffee as the liquid would be a good idea.
I just never did because I didn't have th em on hand.
And I don't leave out the almond flavoring. It inhances(sp?) the choco flavor icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%