How Would I Bake This?

Lounge By KayMc Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 11:18pm by KayMc

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 9

I'm baking a cake this weekend, and I've never done one this big before. It's a Fat Dadio pan that is 11 x 11 x 2. I do have the BakeEasy strips, which I plan to use. Do I still bake @ 325 degrees? For approximately how long before I start checking w/ a toothpick? Thanks for your help. Oh, and will the WASC (with oil) recipe be enough to fill this one pan?

8 replies
Frotusbush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frotusbush Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 9

I would bake it at 325 and start checking it between 30 and 35 minutes. It will probably take a bit longer, but you will have an idea how much longer at that point.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 9

Wow, Frotusbush. 35 minutes? You must have an amazing oven! icon_smile.gif

I would bake at 325 and start looking at it at 50 minutes, at which time it will probably not look anywhere near done, so I won't bother opening the oven. But at least I am now keeping an eye on it. icon_smile.gif

I have never used Fat Daddio pans, however, I'd still suggest placing a flower nail in the center. In my Magic Line pans, I use a flower nail for 9 inches and larger.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 9

I think that full recipe is going to b e more than you need for that size pan. Well maybe *just* a bit more.
A 12 sq uses 2&1/2 mixes so the 11 sq should use a bit less. Fill the pan 2/3rds full.
I would think 30 minutes is not near long enough....bake it until you can smell that wonderful smell in the next room before you check iticon_smile.gif It can take up to an hour for that size to bake.

Frotusbush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frotusbush Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 9

Not necessarily an amazing oven - I`m just paranoid icon_smile.gif. I see dry cake in my nightmares. Also my oven temp can fluctuate a bit as I am at the end of a long run of power lines.

DianeLM Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frotusbush

Not necessarily an amazing oven - I`m just paranoid icon_smile.gif. I see dry cake in my nightmares. Also my oven temp can fluctuate a bit as I am at the end of a long run of power lines.

That makes for an interesting baking day, I'm sure! icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 9

kakeladi is right -- unless you are baking in a room with 18 foot ceilings like I do. By the time I smell the cake, it's been out of the oven and cooling for 10 minutes. icon_smile.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:57pm
post #8 of 9

I like Wiltons baking core, probably about the only thing from Wiltons that I do like. For me it works way better than baking strips and flower nails.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 11:18pm
post #9 of 9

I know that my 8" layers are never done before 40-45 minutes, so I'm assuming I'll be closer to an hour on this one. Thank you so much for your help! I will add the nail to my baking, since I don't have the core.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%