What Cake Decorating Books Should I Buy?

Decorating By Apti Updated 4 Jul 2010 , 4:21am by DanaG21

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 10

Hello everyone in CC-land. I apologize if this is a repeat question, but I cannot figure out how to do a forum search on CC! (I type in the Search box: "Best decorating books" or something like that, and I end up with recipes on royal icing, pictures of cakes made like books, and a list of 140,000 forums....sigh...)

Are books even really necessary? There is SO much info on the internet, but I'm new at this, 4 months, and don't know where to start. I have purchased the Wilton Encyclopedia's Volume 1, 2, 3 dated 1970's which are terrific, the Cake Decorator's Motif Bible, and The Whimsical Bakehouse.

I will be going to ICES in August since I live in San Diego. Should I wait to buy books there? Are they cheaper? Should I check them out from the library first before buying?

Help, please, and thanks a lot.

9 replies
Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 10

You should visit the library & book stores to thumb through the books so you can see what pleases you, we all have such different taste and needs.

I recently ordered a few from: http://www.bookcloseouts.com they were so cheap I figured why not always good references.

My personal all time favorite is Peggy Porschen's books her pictures are gorgeous!

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 10

Ooh, good question. On my wishlist is the Cake Bible, the Cake Book, Whimsical Bakehouse, and the Cake Mix Doctor. Interested to see what others like.

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 10

I have an uncontrollable addiction to cookbooks, especially baking and cake decorating books. These are some of my favorites:

Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum
Rose's Heavenly Cakes by Rose Levy Beranbaum
Confetti Cakes (both books) by Elisa Strauss
Whimsical Bakehouse (all of them, I have the first one, Little Cakes, Kids' Cakes and a Christmas cookie one)
Martha Stewart's Cupcakes
All Cakes Considered
Sky High
Booze Cakes
Peggy Porschen's books
Spectacular Cakes by Mich Turner
United Cakes of America by Warren Brown

It's getting to the point where I'll have to get a second bookshelf to dedicate ENTIRELY to cookbooks, which is a bit disgusting but oh well.

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 10

My favorite books are from Lindy smith, May Clee-Cadman and Debbie Brown for decorating. I usually just use the internet for recipes. I have ALOT of decorating books!
frankdiabetes do you like the cupcake book from Martha? I've been thinking about buying it.

jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 10

I agree with going to the library. You can check out lots of different books and it's free. Then if you find one that you really like you can buy it to keep in your own personal library.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 10

Toba Garrett's Well Decorated Cake.

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 11:53pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by revel

frankdiabetes do you like the cupcake book from Martha? I've been thinking about buying it.

I do like the book, it's not much for decorating ideas but the recipes are good. Thing is, you can find most of the recipes at marthastewart.com but I still like the book. The Boston Cream Pie cupcakes are quite good, as are the Tres Leches cupcakes.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:00am
post #9 of 10

My favorite is Martha Steward's Wedding Cakes!

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:21am
post #10 of 10

I try to get all the books through the library first then determine if I want to buy. I'd say it will also depend if what you want decorating ideas, recipies, or more of a "how to"? I love my Cake Bible and Bakewise.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%