Icing Cake With 2 Different Types Of Icing?

Decorating By jemchina Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 7:57pm by Marianna46

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 8

Could you crumb coat a cake with one type of icing, say SMBC, then coat the cake with regular buttercream.

I made some SWBC which tastes great but came out a little thin. So I made my regular crusting cream cheese icing, and was wondering what happens if I crumb coat with one type, refrigerate until hard, and the coat with the BC.

7 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 8

Yep sometimes I will fill and crumb coat a cake with, say, chocolate and then ice in vanilla...or use one type of ganache or buttercream and ice with another.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 8

I often crumb-coat with one and ice with another. Sometimes it's because I have a leftover that I think would taste good under my bc and other times it's because I want something a little sturdier and smoother under the bc or the fondant (in this case, I use ganache as an undercoating). I've never had one of these not turn out.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 8

I've done dark chocolate IMBC on the top of the cake and the sides were milk chocolate regular (powdered sugar style) buttercream. Completely different but they tasted great together!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 8

While I agree that you can use two different icings this way, I am concerned when you say the icing is a little too thing. Crumb coating is done on a vertical side. That thin icing might give you headaches. You can try putting in the fridge for a few minutes and then icing quickly while it is still a little thick.

I would save it for something like cupcakes, cookies, cinnamon rolls. Yum cinnamon rolls. I think I need to make some this week!

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

While I agree that you can use two different icings this way, I am concerned when you say the icing is a little too thing. Crumb coating is done on a vertical side. That thin icing might give you headaches. You can try putting in the fridge for a few minutes and then icing quickly while it is still a little thick.

I would save it for something like cupcakes, cookies, cinnamon rolls. Yum cinnamon rolls. I think I need to make some this week!

Well let me clarify, maybe "thin" was not the right word. After I made it, it seemed very buttery looking too me, and I was concerned that it might melt off the cake as a regular icing. So I did put in the fridge, but I'm sure that once it comes too room temp, it will get the same way. SO I thought instead of it going to waste, because it does taste very good. I could use it for crumb coating.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 8

I made some SMBC that was like this too one time. Only I didn't know it was not right and I used it to pipe and decorate the cake. It is in my photos from my first Wilton class. It was hot in the room. It didn't slide of the cake, but I did have a small mishap where some of the piping around the top slid when I turned the cake. Still I was able to take it there and back home.

At least it tasted good too.

Good luck with your cake. There is never such a thing as wasting frosting. It's just another excuse to make something else to use with the frosting! icon_wink.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 8

Good point, LindaF144!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%