Crusting Or Non?

Decorating By HarrietBakes Updated 4 Jul 2010 , 3:52pm by artscallion

HarrietBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarrietBakes Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 7

Hello,

Just wondering if you could advise me - is it best to use crusting or non-crusting buttercream for dirty icing, as a crumb layer sticking fondant to the cake?

Also, I'd appreciate it if you could outline the different uses and benefits for crusting vs non-crusting BC. Or is it just personal preference and they do the same job?

Thanks SO much in advance! You guys are all so knowledgable!

6 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 7

It doesn't matter much what you use for a crumb coat. If using a crusting BC, you can crumb coat it and leave it out to crust before icing it. For a non-crusting, you generally leave it in the frigde to harden up before icing it. The idea is for the crumb coat to bind the crumbs so you don't have them showing in your final icing coat.

I like both crusting and non crusting types of frosting, but it is generally easier to smooth crusting types for me. However, many on here are especially skilled at smoothing the non crusting types and it makes no never mind to them! I think it comes down to what you personally like and can work with best. Plus....a lot of non crusting types require refrigeration, so that is a consideration.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 7

I just about jumped off a bridge last week trying to smooth a crusting type bc. I immediately went back to non-crusting which for me is about 1000 times easier.

So, really, it's ALL about what you're used to working with.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 7

Leah_s, you're too funny. I remember reading your post about it.

Connie1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie1027 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 7

Most of my cakes are fondant covered, but last week I made one (Day at the River in My Photos) that used indydebbie's buttercream, which is crusting. The piping details like grass, and the intentionally rough surface was VERY fragile and would break off if touched. Would it have been better to use a NON-crusting recipe???? I'd like to know for future reference. Thanks so much.

HarrietBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarrietBakes Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks friends! I will try both and see which I get on with best. Thanks for the clarification =)

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 7

I always use non-crusting under fondant. What makes a frosting crusting or non- is the ratio of sugar to fat. So a will be less sweet, which I prefer. And I find the fondant adheres to it better.

The only time I use crusting is on a buttercream finish when I want the exposed frosting to be easier to handle and less likely to stick to Nana's flowing sleeves if they brash against. Also better for decorations for the same reason.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%