Fondant Icing

Decorating By creativeconfections Updated 4 Jul 2010 , 2:58am by creativeconfections

creativeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativeconfections Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 6

Ok - not sure where to start. New to fondant but love the look. More and more requests that we need to start filling.

How do you do square corners and make them look good?

How do you do joints in fondant icing? When you are doing a large cake and you can't roll out the fondant into one piece to cover, you have a joint.

and How do you do one piece of fondant rolled out for a large cake tier?

5 replies
Frotusbush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frotusbush Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 6

You are trying something new - good for you!!!
Square corners can be a pain in the patupus at first. One of the best things you can do is get a square dummy and some waste fondant, cover the dummy, remove the fondant and repeat until you feel comfortable. To get the corners nice and crisp it helps to either use two fondant smoothers with the back edges together and run them up and down the corner or invest in one of the new smoothers that is especially for corners.

Joints in the fondant - if you are using a premade fondant such as Fondex or Satin Ice you can wad up a piece of extra fondant and use it to burnish some of the imperfections out. It will help smooth out the joint, but probably not erase it. Be careful that you don`t suddenly hit a sticky spot with either the wad of fondant or the fondant on the cake as it will tear and make you quite unhappy. Take care to position the seam in a place that will be as hidden as possible or work it into the design of your cake so that it is covered.

My favorite way to roll out large pieces of fondant is to use some heavy duty upholstery grade clear vinyl. When you buy it, take a wrapping paper roll or other long heavy cardboard tube with you. Ask the clerk to roll the vinyl around the tube and NOT to fold it. Depending on the humidity and the kind of fondant you use you will either want to use some confectioner`s sugar in a powder puff to keep the fondant from sticking to the vinyl or grease the vinyl very lightly with some white fat. Roll out your piece to the desired size, position your cake on a surface that is large enough to support all the fondant and get all your tools close to hand. Use the vinyl to lift the whole piece of fondant and gently turn it over and lay it down on the cake, starting on one side and smoothing it towards the other side. Gently peel the vinyl off the fondant and smooth it down the sides of the cake. This is actually the method that I use on almost all of my fondant covered cakes unless they are small enough that I can just pick the fondant up with my hands.

TartletteTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TartletteTreats Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 6

What kind of store do you get the vinyl at?

Frotusbush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frotusbush Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 6

I got mine at Jo-Ann Fabrics.

TartletteTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TartletteTreats Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 6

Awesome - thanks!

creativeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativeconfections Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 2:58am
post #6 of 6

thank you so much for the advice and ideas .... I will try them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%