Butter Cream Help

Baking By Taunti Updated 4 Jul 2010 , 6:00pm by Taunti

Taunti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taunti Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:27am
post #1 of 10

Can anyone recommend a good butter cream recipe that can be left at room temp? But that will not melt and is stable?
Making several cakes for 4th of July so I think an Italian butter cream will be to much and melt and I want something that taste really light and good but can be left out without problems.
Thanks
Taunti

9 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:51am
post #2 of 10

I use sugarshack's recipe, and lots of folks use indydebi's - both are wonderful temp. stable icings. They both can withstand heat and humidity VERY well!

ElmwoodHero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElmwoodHero Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:20am
post #3 of 10

i have always used the wilton recipe, and i never have any problem with it

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:23am
post #4 of 10

I recently tried SugarShack's recipe last week and it was excellent. I find the Wilton one too sweet and greasy and SugarShack's is light, and not greasy and tastes great. It doesn't need refrigeration.

Taunti Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:47am
post #5 of 10

Thank you all so much. This sugar shack recipe can it be found here in recipes?
This is great what a super help

Taunti

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 10

Just search SugarShack in the recipes section. There are a couple of recipes up depending on the size of your mixer.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:28pm
post #7 of 10

Indydebi's buttercream has my vote. It's "hands down" the best recipe that I've ever tried. Haven't tried sugarshack's and I'm betting that it's good as well but Indydebi's would be hard to beat. It also holds up very well to extreme heat and humidity.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 10

The secret it this: you need a buttercream that has no eggs in it (ruling out all meringue buttercreams) and that has a good deal more shortening than butter, because butter melts in the heat, but shortening doesn't. Indydebi's, Sugarshack's and Wilton's all fill the bill, but Indydebi's and Sugarshack's are tastier, in my books (although I usually use Wilton's because I can't normally get all the ingredients for the other two!).

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:10pm
post #9 of 10

I have to say that I agree with Marianna about Indydebi's bc being "tastier" than Wilton. I believe the addition of the Dream Whip makes it yummy. It also has milk in it (I use half and half instead of milk for an even creamier icing) and still it doesn't have to be refrigerated. It will hold at room temperature for up to two weeks.

If you do make her recipe (found on cc in the "most saved" recipes) I suggest that you beat your crisco for at least 15 minutes BEFORE adding any other ingredients and that after you've added all other ingredients you allow it to whip for at least 20 minutes. It seems to me that the longer you allow the mixer to run the better this icing is. I always make a double batch so that less air is incorporated into the icing...creating less air bubbles.

Taunti Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 6:00pm
post #10 of 10

You ladies are so helpful, thank you so much icon_smile.gif I am making Indydebi's this morning after a trip to the store to get some of this dream whip stuff icon_smile.gif
I will let you all know what I think. I'm also going to use the suggestion of half and half over milk to make it a bit creamer.

Thank you ladies a million times over.
I've made so much this weekend my head hurts, LOL
100 mini tartlets, pastry cream filled with fresh fruit.
50 mini 4th of July cupcakes.
American Flag Cake to be finished.
Several Dips, Salads and a large batch of
Sweet vanilla pastry cream.

Whew all that is left is the cake icon_smile.gif
Fun Times. I will let you know the results tomorrow icon_smile.gif

I wish you all a safe and blessed 4th of July.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%