First Wedding Cake Need Help

Business By powers4god Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 8:28pm by powers4god

powers4god Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
powers4god Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 1:15am
post #1 of 3

So far I have only done cakes for family and friends and a couple of cakes for friends of friends. I love making 2 tier specialty cakes! I am NOT wanting to go into business, this is just a hobby. I have a good friend that has a friend who's getting married and after seeing some pictures of a few of my cakes (I admit, I don't take many pictures of my cakes which I guess I should be) and wants to talk with me about doing her wedding cake!! I have never done a cake for a wedding! Personally, it's very intimidating! I will have dozens of people looking at my work, which I feel needs a lot of fine tuning. I have no idea where to start on pricing for a wedding cake and I have no idea how I would even accomplish making a wedding cake in my home. I have not agreed to meet with them yet, but am considering it because I would love the opportunity! But, how much do I charge? I have no idea what the bakeries in our area charge. I must say I'm not very creative. All of the cakes that I've made so far have been inspired by other cakes I've seen. I have only been charging a minimal amount for my cakes as I'm not doing them for business purposes. My 2 tier cakes with fondant I charge only $80 for and people still can't believe that they are spending that much! How did I know what a reasonable price is for our area? How would you recommend I go about contracting this wedding cake? How do you do payment for the cake? Depost, what amount? Etc. Any and ALL help and tips would be much appreciated!

Blessings,
Rachel

2 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 1:49am
post #2 of 3

Wedding cakes are a bit different from other cakes. For one thing, many venues want to see a copy of your catering license or whatever license is required in your area. Otherwise they may not accept the cake. Others just want to see a copy of your liability insurance.

You say that you're a hobbyist, but once you start accepting $ for cake, you're a business. Are you allowed to have this business in your city/state?

powers4god Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
powers4god Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 3

I live in a somewhat small town in FL. I do know that the venues here do not ask for catering certificates for receptions. It is common practice here for many families to "cater" their own reception. As far as a business license, how would I go about finding out the information on this? I am a midwife and do not have time to have a true cake business. I just enjoy the occasional cake that a friend asks for. I don't think I've made more than $20 profit from a cake yet so I know that I wouldn't have to claim the income for tax purposes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%