Rice Krispie/gumpaste Figurine Question

Decorating By frizzyhead Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 1:52am by cakegrandma

frizzyhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frizzyhead Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 8

Okay, so I spent almost 8 hrs yesterday trying to make this figurine (wubbzy) for my daughters b-day cake, ugh! So frustrated! The gumpaste will NOT roll into a ball (making the body) without having cracks or creases in it, I have kneaded & kneaded, added a little shortening... to no avail. So now Im thinking of making the figure out of rice krispie treat then covering it with gumpaste. Does anyone know how long in advance I can make the rice krispie stuff to do this? Also will the rice krispie treats start to melt if outside in a hot temp? If ANYONE has any other suggestion for me to do this please pipe in, I'm ready to quit, cry etc........Thanks!

7 replies
Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 8

Don't quit! It takes some time, but you'll figure it out! I've only done a couple of things with RKT. The Eagle in my photos is one. I have to admit, that I cheated, and bought pre-made RKT. So sue me! Anyway, I covered that with MMF, and it smoothed very well. Wubbzy is a little square with rounded edges, right? Depending on how large of a figure you'd need, you might would be able to do him with just one or two of those pre-made ones. Just a thought! Hope this helps a little!

frizzyhead Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks areopanda! Your Eagle looks great! I actually thought about the premade kind, even though I have everything to make them lol. How far ahead of time did you make the eagle? If I were to make it a week ahead will that be alright? NO one is gonna eat it.......

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 8

How many charaters do you need to make and how big? if is only WUBBZY why don't you buy the 'RICE KRISPIE TREATS" it is already prepare. Is much easier this way.You just squish it together to make your figure.You can buy it individual packages at any supermarket or you can buy a box of 24 packages at SAM'S or COSTCO for $8.00. If you make it you spend as follow:
cereal : $2.89
mashmellows :3.00
misc. anything else the recipe calls for : maybe $1.00
It is almost the same as buying it already made.
If you want it to be eaten make it two days before,because it might get stale after 2 days. When I have use it I covered mine in fondant. the neck of the guitar I made held nicely ,the fondant was a little sticky after five hours in the patio where the party was being held.
Hope this helps. Good luck icon_smile.gif
CIAO

frizzyhead Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 12:51am
post #5 of 8

Thanks! I have to make it a week in advance, only time I can. I just need to know if I cover the rice krispie treat in gumpaste & of course the gumpaste hardens over it will the krispie treat keep its shape when it gets stale? This prob sounds stupid but since there is butter and marshmalows in them I just need to know that if after covered if the treats will melt. Please I hope someone can answer this for me. Thanks!

Aeropanda Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 1:01am
post #6 of 8

I made the eagle about 2 days ahead of time, but the cake was in an air-conditioned environment for the entire time. The gumpaste hardens very well. I would think that you'd be good to go. The gumpaste hardens so much, that I really don't think you'd have a problem. The fondant would probably be more of a challenge than the gumpaste, but, again, I am not a professional.

Aeropanda Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 1:03am
post #7 of 8

Oh, and it is my understanding, that the gumpaste stuff lasts indefinitely, and the RKT's will last for a long time too, so I think you'll be very well set with just the week in advance.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 1:52am
post #8 of 8

When I make anything from RKT's I always cover them in a coat of melted chocolate. You could use whatever color you may need and Merckens is a great product. If you just smooth it on your piece and let it dry I think it makes for a better base for your fondant to go on smoother.
evelyn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%