First Time Making Fondant Roses With Mmf-Suggestions Please

Decorating By sberryp Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 11:32pm by catlharper

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 6

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1727964&sub=1727966

I couldn't post the picture her because it says that the file was too large. Why can I upload large file, but I can not share them in a post? Anyway, last night I was up making roses for a cake that I am making this weekend. I would love any suggestions because I am making another batch to make sure that the that I have enough flowers and petals. I used a circle cutter and the flower pad. I think that they came out great! What do you think? It took a long time, but I really did enjoy making them.

5 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 6

they are pretty for small roses but I think you'll find that if you use MMF alone that they will take weeks to dry. I always do a 50/50 MMF and gumpaste mix. This gives me time to model the roses but dries them in a few days rather than weeks.

Have fun playing!

Cat

sberryp Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 6

I did add tylose to the MMF. Some of them seemed dry last night, but this morning they felt different. I think it was because I put the lid on the container that I had it in and didn't leave a large opening, so I took the lid off today. So hopefully they will dry before sunday.

sberryp Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks catlharper for the suggestion. I know I will have fun tonight making more roses.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 6

Good job. I would take the tip of my finger and indent the petals just a little to give them a natural effect so they don't all look the same. I add Tylose to my mmf or I use candy clay to make roses. You can get the petals thinner using candy clay.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 6

Yup, with any gumpaste/fondant flower or figure you want the item covered but not air tight. Air tight does create the humidity you found last night and will wilt them.

And yes, I use a ball tool to flutter the edges of the petals and make them seem unique.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%