Kitchen Renters! What Do You Pay?

Business By cattycornercakes Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 7:11pm by 3LittleBeesCookies

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 15

I have found a kitchen to rent at a local community center. They've never rented their kitchen out so they aren't sure what to charge me. They asked me to come up with a proposal.

Sooo...not to be nosey but...if you rent a kitchen, how much are you paying? Or if you know of kitchens for rent in your area, how much are they going for?

Thanks!!
Renee

14 replies
Younique_designs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Younique_designs Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 15

I have been checking on this myself and trying to figure it out. I am in Florida and I found a lady renting space in her bakery for $400 a month. I have also seen where people pay $25/hour! I thought $400 was very reasonable, when compared to that. But, I don't know what sort of time frame that is either. I haven't called her yet. Maybe some more will reply and we can both learn something! lol! thumbs_up.gif

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 15

I'd love to know the answer to this too.

cattycornercakes Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 15

Well I know of one kitchen in Philly that charges $39 for off peak and $44 for peak (off peak hours being like 10 pm - 6 am and peak hours being daytime). That seemed kinda high to me. $400 a month sounds reasonable. I guess a flat rate scares me in that I have no idea if I'll have enough business to support that amount of rent...but I guess if I don't then I probably shouldn't bother being in business!

When we met last night, we discussed a per hour charge but they'd have a hard time knowing how many hours I'm there. We also discussed a per cake charge. They told me to think about it and come up with a proposal. When I got home last night, I was kicking around maybe like a percentage of sales...although I'm not sure how much. I want to make sure the rent is fair to them as far as covering the extra costs for utilities but also fair to me so that I make some money on the cakes.

Hopefully some other people will chime in with what they pay...maybe no one is home yet icon_smile.gif

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 15

I am looking too......so far I've seen a couple places in San Diego for $20/hr

timhenk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
timhenk Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 15

check out kitchenchicago.com for their rates. But keep in mind that they have stock ingredients on hand for you, and will receive your shipments, etc.

timhenk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
timhenk Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 15

check out kitchenchicago.com for their rates. But keep in mind that they have stock ingredients on hand for you, and will receive your shipments, etc.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 15

Because of how much I use it I get a break. The normal rate is $25 an hour but because I use it more than 12 days a month it's discounted down to $15 an hour. I wish they had a monthly rate!

Cat

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 2:19am
post #9 of 15

I rent from a meal preperation place for $750/month. This includes a $500 rent charge, and $250 for utilities which will be re-assesed at the end of the summer (I am in AZ and the A/C bills are outrageous!)

Good Luck on your new adventure!

thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:22pm
post #10 of 15

I pay $7 an hr or $45 a day.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:20pm
post #11 of 15

I pay $100 to walk in the door and can have the kitchen for 24 hrs of use. If I only use it a few hours then my loss. If I can pull an all day/all nighter then the price is really reasonable. But how often does that actually happen...never...LOL!

cattycornercakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:36pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks for all of the replies! Great info!

I'm thinking of proposing to them that I pay a percentage of my sales - ie: 15%. Still working on the numbers....

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:54pm
post #13 of 15

wow, I guess I'm pretty lucky paying $300 per month. I told them I didn't think it would work for me to pay by the hour, because most of the time I am just sitting there decorating.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:04pm
post #14 of 15

$16 hr evening, $20 peak, other place in town is $25 hr anytime.

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:11pm
post #15 of 15

The cheapest I have found in my area is $35 an hour with no minimum. Some places require a certain amount of hours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%