Fondant Cut-Outs On Buttercream Cake

Decorating By shawneen Updated 16 Aug 2012 , 4:13pm by EvMarie

shawneen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shawneen Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:13am
post #1 of 9

I'm new here and looking for help. I'm making a cake and planning on using buttercream for the cake with fondant cut-outs to decorate. I have a few questions.

How soon should I make the fondant cut-outs?

How do I attach the fondant cut-outs and when should I attach them? Before the buttercream has crusted or after?

Thanks for any help in advance. This is my first time posting and first time attempting this method of decorating.

8 replies
ElmwoodHero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElmwoodHero Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:21am
post #2 of 9

I try not to add fondant on buttercream cakes. You can, it just doesnt look right. I always do buttercream on buttercream and fondant on fondant.

good luck

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:30am
post #3 of 9

Let the buttercream crust, then brush the fondant pieces with a little water and put on cake. You have to get it in the correct spot on the first try because if you move the piece it usually leaves a mark from the colored fondant.

Jesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesa Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:31am
post #4 of 9

I sometimes put fondant on my bc cakes. I make my cutouts based on how dry/soft I need them to be--if I want them to stand up more I'll make them farther in advance (a couple of days?) but if I want them to curve to the shape of the cake I usually do them close to the time I intend to put them on the cake.

To attach I use a tiny bit of the same bc that the cake is frosted in and gently smear it on the back of the fondant, then I gently place it on the cake, just a little pressure so it doesn't smush the bc behind it and look like it's inlaid into it. I almost always add it after the bc has crusted.

But as with any other technique, lots of people do things different ways, so you may get other great advice that's totally different. I have a couple of pics of bc with fondant on that I've done this way posted in case it helps.

HTH and hope yours turns out great!! icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:35am
post #5 of 9

I have to disagree with elmwoodhero. There are hundreds of buttercream cakes here on cc with fondant decorations and they look great. Heck...you can't even tell that some of them are buttercream because the icing is so smooth.

To the op...you can make them several days in advance if you need to. I just place them on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and cover loosely with plastic wrap. To attach you can use a thin application of bc on the fondanat or you can use a little water on the back of the fondant cut out..(.just enough to make it tacky)

Yes wait for your buttercream to crust before adding the fondant cut outs.

shawneen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shawneen Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks soo much everyone for your help. The cake turned out well and everyone was pleased with the results.

Now time to go play around with fondant and buttercream a little more. icon_biggrin.gif

Since I'm new here I'm struggling to figure out how to post the photo in here to show everyone how it turned out. So I guess if your curious you can look at my photos. Thanks.

OnPaisleyLane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OnPaisleyLane Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 4:22am
post #7 of 9

I want to make this cake for my son's 1st Birthday. After being told by a local bakery that "You can't" decorate with fondant over buttercream, and that their minimum is 30-40 people starting at $300 & up, I'm going to make this all by myself, lol. I have my buttercream recipe down pat, but have never worked with fondant. Being experienced, and also having played with play dough (ha ha), I'm hoping that starting out with decorating won't be too hard. Any tips as far as coloring the fondant or a certain brand to use? Or, is it better to make your own if possible? The only place that I can locally buy fondant is a Michaels craft store.

http://pinterest.com/pin/104990235033939056/

Thank you : )

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 9

When I am adding fondant decorations to a bc cake, I usually use Wilton fondant. It has enough "body" to hold its shape while transferring it to the cake. It is a little pricey, but the colors are bright, and the texture is good-and it probably won't be eaten anyway. Many people make marshmallow fondant, but I find it too soft to work with, although it tastes pretty good.
For the cake you have the link to, some of the items- Mickey's ears, the stars on wires, the stars forming the name-will need to be made ahead of time to allow them to dry and harden. If you can find some Tylose powder, that is great to add to the fondant to help it dry hard. If you can't find that, get some Wilton gumpaste and mix it 50/50 with your fondant. The Wilton color is so concentrated that adding the gumpaste won't affect it much at all. I have made a very similar cake and will be glad to help in any way I can. Here's how mine turned out:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1551417105390.2075445.1234006544&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=1555650971234&set=a.1551417105390.2075445.1234006544&type=3&theater

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 9

Glad to hear the cake turned out well. I have been doing marshmellow fondant on buttercream cakes. I am still refining my cake basics & just NOW trying to find a style. It's a process for sure.

When I first started, I noticed I didn't like thick fondant decorations...they look sloppy. And, if you let the decorations dry and try to add to a cake that's obviously curved...your fondant will crack. Again, it's a learning process and the type of fondant you use dictates drying time. Wilton stuff dries faster than marshmellow fondant...as one poster said...mmf is softer.

I still have work to do in this area...so I'm NOT an expert. But those are my thoughts. Oh...if you do make mmf...I like to add color after you've melted your marshmellows but before you've added powdered sugar. You can get a much bolder and brighter color with out kneading for a million hours.

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%