I Can't Wait To See My First Disaster...

Decorating By CBMom Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 7:19am by asaye

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 38

As soon as they send me pictures, I'll post them! LOL!

Here's what happened:

Mom picked up her daughter's 12th birthday cake.
2 tier stacked, BC with fondant polka dots in pink and purple.

She was thrilled.

Cake made it to their house fine.

They moved it from the van, into the house, up the stairs, onto the dining room table.

Ding Dong! goes the doorbell.

Guests arriving! Mom and birthday girl welcome the folks in...and realize ...

that the family beagle isn't welcoming the guests with them.

Uh oh.

Mom and birthday girl run upstairs.

They hear doggie toe-nails ON THE TABLE!!!

And see doggie jumping OFF the table.

Cake is fine.
Well, except for the doggie size bite out of the top tier!! LOL

I didn't ask if the cake tasted good...I'm not sure they actually ate it! icon_biggrin.gif

I've called mom already to remind her to send pictures!! icon_smile.gif
Too funny!

37 replies
Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 38

lol That sounds so familiar. That actually happened to me at my house one time BEFORE the order was picked up. I had moved a cake in it's box into the dining room out of the bakery because it was hot in there and still messy, and I had church that morning, and there was a miscommunication between me and my hubby. Well, the cat ate the top off the cake while we were gone and when I got home I saw a small grease spot on top of the box and my heart sank. I knew what had happened. What was wierd was that the customer wanted me to just "cut" the top off and re-ice and decorate it! I told her no way. I asked her if she could wait a day to get her cake and she was fine with it. I lucked out. Now, I am extremely cautious! lol

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:31am
post #3 of 38

I'm not one who freaks out over things like this--so I hope your client isn't either. I would have casually made sure the CHOMPED part was in the back and served the other tiers.

People smoochy face with dogs all the live-long-day and don't think a thing about it. I have a brother who actually holds treats in his mouth for his dog to take.

I'd like to see pictures too!

Doggies--they just want cake too!

tanstaafl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanstaafl Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 38

Ummm, no offense, but I really don't want to eat at your house icon_sad.gif

I love dogs, but I do not smooch them, I do not allow them to lick my face, and I always wash my hands between petting dogs and handling food. Same goes for cats or any other animal. I would be extremely upset if I learned that I was served food that had previously been munched on by an animal.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl

I love dogs, but I do not smooch them, I do not allow them to lick my face, and I always wash my hands between petting dogs and handling food. Same goes for cats or any other animal. I would be extremely upset if I learned that I was served food that had previously been munched on by an animal.

icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif this was at the customer's house NOT the OP!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 38

lol I want to see the pics, too! I love my doxie, but I swear it's like having a toddler again, only w/ super jumping capabilities! icon_lol.gif

tanstaafl Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 38

Sorry, I was responding to kansaslaura, not the OP. I should have made that clear.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 38
Quote:

In Kansaslaura's defense - she didn't give the cake to the customer. The customer was the one that said just cut off the top tier. She made the customer a new cake.

kansaslaura Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 8:13pm
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_Mias_Cakes

Quote:

In Kansaslaura's defense - she didn't give the cake to the customer. The customer was the one that said just cut off the top tier. She made the customer a new cake.

'

First of all I have nothing to do with this cake. I didn't make it, I didn't buy it. I was just commenting on the OP.

My house is more than clean enough to satisfy a health inspection, just FYI. Been in the business way too long, you get in the habit, you know? tanstaafl, you need to read things more carefully and not jump to conclusions. My comment was simply to make light of the situation. No, I would not have a problem if the customer did not serve the one tier the dog got to and served the rest.

I guess I look around and see way bigger things to worry about. And just for the record, I don't want you to eat at my house either--I much prefer laid back fun people, not people who are going to judge and pick at things.

Have a great, sanitary dog-free day! thumbs_up.gif

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:29pm
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Quote:

Quote:

'

First of all I have nothing to do with this cake. I didn't make it, I didn't buy it. I was just commenting on the OP.

My house is more than clean enough to satisfy a health inspection, just FYI. Been in the business way too long, you get in the habit, you know? tanstaafl, you need to read things more carefully and not jump to conclusions. My comment was simply to make light of the situation. No, I would not have a problem if the customer did not serve the one tier the dog got to and served the rest.

I guess I look around and see way bigger things to worry about. And just for the record, I don't want you to eat at my house either--I much prefer laid back fun people, not people who are going to judge and pick at things.

Sorry, I put the wrong name down as I was responding to tanstaafl's poste. My post was supposed to be for Mindy1975. I scrolled down and must have misread the name. Anyhow, I am agreeing with you on the dog thing. No big thing for me either. I am a pet owner as well and clean my work area really well when I am making my cakes or food for my family. Just because someone has pets doesn't make them unsanitary.

kansaslaura Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:33pm
post #11 of 38

Mama, that wasn't aimed at you, sorry if it seemed so. Life is simply too short to have to spend the time constantly pulling wedgies out over ever single thing! Have a great one!!

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:06am
post #12 of 38

KansasLaura, I want to eat at your house because I love your 'avatar' picture so dang much. And I read a lot of your post, we would definetly get along. haha

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:19am
post #13 of 38

I cant wait to see your pictures!! IT sounds like something I would have to watch my beagle over too!! It is because of that right there, that she is sent to her nanny's when I am baking a cake, having a party, or bbq. icon_biggrin.gif the little fart is just too sneaky!!

kansaslaura Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:27am
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart6710

KansasLaura, I want to eat at your house because I love your 'avatar' picture so dang much. And I read a lot of your post, we would definetly get along. haha

Well, you'd certainly be welcome!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:12am
post #15 of 38
Quote:

Quote:

I want to come too. thumbs_up.gif I have NO doubt that your house is clean thumbs_up.gif

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 2:13am
post #16 of 38

LOL We have several animals in our house and even though I always wash my hands before handling food as I'm sure everyone else does (or hope they do) I would so get a big laugh out of this. Dogs will be dogs. LOL. My family would have no problems eating the non chomped parts.

kansaslaura Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:10am
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

Quote:

I want to come too. thumbs_up.gif I have NO doubt that your house is clean thumbs_up.gif

It's a little messy right now, doing some painting and fussing about. But sounds like a party to me! I'll light the grill ! icon_smile.gif

kansaslaura Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:18am
post #18 of 38

I couldn't resist....

sweetheart6710 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:24am
post #19 of 38

Is that a picture of the actual wreck??? jk

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:35am
post #20 of 38
Quote:

I couldn't resist....

Too cute!

carrywilsonhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrywilsonhome Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:47am
post #21 of 38
Quote:

Of course it is. Don't your dogs suspend themselves from wires while grasping a knife and fork ready to sabotage your cakes????

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:49am
post #22 of 38

Mine SO would if he could.... LOL. He like's to think he's a super hero.

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:05am
post #23 of 38

same thing happened to me this past weekend, i made my first topsy turvey cake for my friends 2 year old, except it involved a rambunctios 3 year old (not my own, he knows better than to touch mommy's cakes lol) i had the cake all ready, on the table, i was getting ready, my sister comes by with her nephew, she turned around for a sec, and he took a big chunk (taking a support dowel) the cake toppled over, we tried to fix it, but i just barely made it to the party, i was soo devastated!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:23am
post #24 of 38

kansaslaura, that pic is hilarious!

I can't wait to see the pics from the party cake OP!

tanstaafl Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:08pm
post #25 of 38
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

'

Sorry, I really didn't mean to offend anyone, and I wasn't trying to pick a fight. I just was surprised when you said that you would have turned the part that the dog had eaten to the back and served the rest of the cake. It's just not something that I would want to eat.

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:58pm
post #26 of 38

Animals - gotta love them. I have a 4 pound yorkie and when she hears the KA mixer - she comes to the edge of the kitchen as she knows exactly what I am doing. She has been ran out so many times, she stays a safe distance or she knows Mommy will yell at her - and oh no, possibly put up the dreaded puppy gate. But, when all is done and the counters are all clean again, she comes in to see if there may be a stray portion of icing that made it to the floor. If so, she laps it up and off she goes. Then out comes the mop and we start all over.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:04pm
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrywilsonhome

Quote:

Of course it is. Don't your dogs suspend themselves from wires while grasping a knife and fork ready to sabotage your cakes????

LOL I don't know - if I was crazy enough to leave an uncovered cake out on my table, Buttercream, (my dog) could find a way to do that!!! icon_lol.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:20pm
post #28 of 38
Quote:

I couldn't resist....

oh that is SO something my dog would orchestrate!! icon_lol.gif love the pic

ohh umm..who's bringing the cake this party? icon_lol.gif

sweetheart6710 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:43pm
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

Quote:

I couldn't resist....

oh that is SO something my dog would orchestrate!! icon_lol.gif love the pic

ohh umm..who's bringing the cake this party? icon_lol.gif

I think Kandance5989 should bring the cake to our party.. didn't she say she could bake better then the lot of us?

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 7:06pm
post #30 of 38

Fortunately, my 2 little mini schnauzers haven't realized they are able to jump up on furniture (I've always had schnauzers, and this is a first for me!). I used to have one that could jump really high. He developed the talent of jumping up and swiping his paws on the counter to grab whatever was there (quite a feat for an 17 lb dog!). Good thing I wasn't caking then, because he definitely would've gotten to the cake on the counter!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%