Help With Wilton Columns & Plates

Decorating By anasazi17 Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 1:24am by anasazi17

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 7

Hello!

This is poor planning on my part I know. But, I have a cake for Saturday that has flowers in between each layer. I have never used the columns/plates before. I purchased Wilton's brand...I got home and realized I have no idea how to use them. HA! I can't believe I have never had to use them. Anyway, my cakes are 10, 8 & 6.

What do I need to do? What I am thinking(and bought) is that I will need 2-10" plates & 2-8"plates, with 3" columns. Is this right? There will be roses inbetween.

Just want a confirmation before try something new.

Thanks!

6 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 7

If you are going to be separating all of your tiers, you need two 7" plates and two 9" plates.

Your 8" and 10" double-plate system won't work (unless you were going to use the push-in spiked pillars with only one plate, then you could *maybe* get away with using the even size plates that you already bought).

anasazi17 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 7

Ugh, I'm still confused. I don't know why my brain isn't wrapping around this concept.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:07am
post #4 of 7

If you need a visual, stack your cake pans with the plates that you bought. If your 6" pan is on the 8" plate, and the bottom 8" plate goes on top of your 8" cake you'll see that the plate will stick out beyond the top of the 8" cake with the scalloped edges or plate showing. Does this make sense?

anasazi17 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:11am
post #5 of 7

Ah, geez...yes I get it. lol, I appreciate the visual help. Looks like I'm going to have to try to find odd size plates. great.

Thanks tho!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:12am
post #6 of 7

If you've never done plates-n-pillars before, I'd highly recommend the push in pillars. These weren't available when I first started doing cakes and they are SO much easier than the plate-n-pillar system. You only ned one plate under the upper tier cake.

anasazi17 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:24am
post #7 of 7

Debi! I was wondering if this might be the easiest route...I just spent 20 minutes "building" my cake out of cake pans, plates & pillars HA! My husband thought I had lost it for a second!! Sometimes it is the easiest things that are the hardest for me icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%