Its Always The Cake, Isn't It....

Business By Kitagrl Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 12:58pm by sugarycreations

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:43pm
post #91 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbabs

My boyfriend and I might donate to an animal shelter we regularly volunteer at.

That's awesome! Something close to your heart that you 'believe' in. You can't go wrong there!!

Human fund. hehehehe. icon_rolleyes.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:38pm
post #92 of 101
Melvira Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:18pm
post #93 of 101

Oh for the love of...

CURSEWORD!!

That is absolutely negligent. "Icing never tastes good anyway"? Are you friggin kidding me? Have you tasted EVERY icing on the planet? And how good is mouthful of cocoa powder going to taste? BLECH!!!

I swear this is why I hate *people*!

Yum2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yum2010 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:56pm
post #94 of 101

Hilarious!!! OHHHH, I want a slice of the green "booger" cake please!!! (located in one of the pics in the above link). And, if I walked into a wedding and saw a cake without frosting, I swear, I would walk right out! But, that's just me.

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:39am
post #95 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yum2010

Hilarious!!! OHHHH, I want a slice of the green "booger" cake please!!! (located in one of the pics in the above link). And, if I walked into a wedding and saw a cake without frosting, I swear, I would walk right out! But, that's just me.

I'm sorry Yum2010...pls don't laugh at that green cake....it is green tea cake and I've made them already and it's good. Although, I made mine with white chocolate icing.... I thought that it was interesting about cakes not being iced...there are people who don't like icing and some of these cakes still come with a little frosting or filling. Sometimes the simple ones do make a statement.

Melvira Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:28am
post #96 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea223

Sometimes the simple ones do make a statement.

Yah, but that statement is, "I've never actually MADE a cake before today..." icon_lol.gif Just kidding!!! I'm sorry, but to me it just looks like they ran out of time and couldn't finish the cake.

Yum2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yum2010 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:56am
post #97 of 101

Oh, sorry..........Well, i guess i could forgive the green if the cake is in fact a green tea cake. But, seriously, it doesn't look very appetizing to me without icing especially. But, I am def. an icing kinda gal.

Melvira, I agree, it just looks unfinished to me.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:20am
post #98 of 101

Yeah, some statements are better left unsaid! Seriously, though, I found those pictures because I was looking for photos of an uniced cake for a client who emailed me today about getting wedding cake that didn't have icing on it. That's more of a dessert cake, but she wanted ot to be stacked like a wedding cake. I was actualyl looking for the MS cake farther down on the page because I knew she'd done some without icing before. I didn't expect to find the leaning tower of uniced tortes at the top of the page, which was the disaster I was talking about when I posted the link.

The green tea cake just looks gross. It's the color, though, I just associate green food with herbs and vegetables, not cake.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:21am
post #99 of 101

So whipped cream is the answer? That'll be nice after 4 hours in the sun... You don't just pay a professional for the look of a cake, you pay them for their knowledge of safe food handling - who wants to be remembered for the wedding where everyone got gastro??

Also, that wonky cake wrapped in chicken wire needs putting in the up-turned bin they are using for a cake stand - even the worst tasting icing will at least stop the cake drying out, that thing is going to be stale, stale, stale!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:17am
post #100 of 101

I love how she keeps referring to all of her cake design ideas as "rustic". Euphemism much?? icon_razz.gif

sugarycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarycreations Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:58pm
post #101 of 101

Ok, ladies & gentlemen, I just want to say that that doesn't bother me TOO much. Anyone who thinks a twinkie cake would be the huge hit of the reception simply isn't my clientele. Don't have the desire or patience to educate somebody on why that wouldn't be cool. Plus, let's be honest, everybody's background is different & their family might really appreciate the twinkie cake. They would gripe & complain about a cake I would bake. icon_biggrin.gif Your love the chemical taste & rubbery texture of twinkie type would HATE a scratch baked cake made from real butter & real vanilla.

Those are part of the reasons I'm very slow about getting into wedding cakes. My shop has been open less than a year at this point & I want a well established reputation for doing cakes based on taste before I go after that segment of the market. That should help weed out some of the ones I don't want to deal with.

I've just recently finished booking a 3-tiered birthday cake that I will thoroughly enjoy doing. The customer & I spent almost 30 minutes talking on the phone about cakes & flavors & the different textures. She came into the shop a few days later & we did more talking. She bought 4 different cupcakes & was seated at the table tasting them when I got there. (I had had to pick up some supplies & traffic was heavier than usual.) The cakes & icing were discussed. This time she started talking prices. When she left, I still didn't know if I would be doing the cake or not. She came back a few days later & we talked more about cake flavors over my list of available flavors (with descriptions). She then told me that she would email me directions to her house & what would be the exact per serving cost of the cake she had decided on. It was a very fun & pleasant experience. Maybe I'm wrong, but I figure if I market myself right, I will have less of the $$ is the main focus.

Most of the time, my daughter & I can figure out accurately in the first 2-3 minutes if a customer is our type of customer. If the first question out of their mouth is how much instead of what flavors, they probably aren't. We answer their questions & if our suspicions are confirmed by looks of horror at the quoting of prices, we steer them to the thumbprint cookies or spritz cookies.

It's a slow process but I think the ones on here that stress we pick our clientele as much as they pick us are right. That attitude will mean I won't make as much money as some shops but I'll probably be one of the happier shop owners with a bit less stress. Guess the next few years will prove if I'm wrong or right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%