Its Always The Cake, Isn't It....

Business By Kitagrl Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 12:58pm by sugarycreations

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:55am
post #31 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

That and the photography. The only thing we still have from our wedding is the photos, so I think photography is first in importance.

Then the dress....

Then the cake/food.

First thing we cut from our wedding budget was the photography! No standing around posing for pictures so we got to spend more time with our guests and saved a couple of thousand dollars - we just asked our guests to pass on any digital photos they took on the day, which they were happy to do - we have some fantastic pics so no regrets!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 11:25am
post #32 of 101

I'm all for saving on the budget, especially since I'm in the middle of planning my DD's. But come on!!! Food, Cake and Photography are on the no compromise list. Guests will remember the food and cake, and you will be looking at those pictures for the rest of your life. (Heck- I still look at mine and I will be married 30 yrs in 3week!)

jennbrownrigg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennbrownrigg Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 11:52am
post #33 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

AND- who on earth orders a cake to serve 300 when they invite 100 guests???

I actually have a wedding cake next weekend. There will be 40 guests and they INSISTED on a 3 tier cake. I told her she was going to pay for the servings in those 3 tiers and not the 40 servings she actually needs.

So, she paid almost $400 for the cake, and then i find out, she is CHARGING her guests $10 each for their dinner!@#!!!

Can you say TACKY???

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:02pm
post #34 of 101

We had a VERY cheap wedding...small wedding in south dakota, friends and family...rehearsal dinner was a backyard BBQ and then we took everyone to Mount Rushmore to see the lights show. For the wedding we had an afternoon reception and just had the traditional cake, punch, nuts, and mints, and it was at my house (parents had a nice open and big living room/dining room area...I miss it!).

We hardly spent anything on the wedding but we did spend $500 on photography (which was alot for us back in 1996) and we are so glad we did...we rented a beautiful chapel made of wood with a grass roof and very picturesque grounds so the photos are lovely.

I did have a friend make the cake. I didn't do them at the time. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:03pm
post #35 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennbrownrigg

Quote:

I actually have a wedding cake next weekend. There will be 40 guests and they INSISTED on a 3 tier cake. I told her she was going to pay for the servings in those 3 tiers and not the 40 servings she actually needs.

So, she paid almost $400 for the cake, and then i find out, she is CHARGING her guests $10 each for their dinner!@#!!!

Can you say TACKY???

Wow that's terrible. I can't believe her guests are actually going!

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:21pm
post #36 of 101

I say we email the writer and tell her what ridiculousness she's peddling.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:38pm
post #37 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennbrownrigg

Quote:

Can you say TACKY???

lol i was following a wedding ettique thread not long ago that was FILLED with little gems like this...

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:23pm
post #38 of 101

cheatize - - - I think some in the bridal industry like these article writers, make it easy for people to think unrealistically. Welllll, obviously that's an understatement. But, you know what I mean....People in my area also make sure they have favors. Even if it's just one little piece of homemade candy.

Maybe that rep was trying to tie me into a longer more expensive payment in the cake category for advertising? She tried to sell me on the traffic statistics. It was an area with more views....however, if I'm the only one offering edible favors on this site EVERY view, even smaller numbers....would be of me! I thought that was smart.

Anywhooooo, it WOULD BE interesting to write a real article. Really...what could you come up with for saving money? I think it would be better to send out nice announcements and have a smaller party in somebody's back yard, than have a million people at a party you don't love. Today's society just trains you to obsess over things that don't matter...it's about you getting MARRIED. Anyway....

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:26pm
post #39 of 101

If I were to save money I'd definitely have a smaller guest list and I'd have the wedding at an odd time so I didn't have to cater a full meal.

I'd also make my own cake. haha. Luckily I'm already married!

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:39pm
post #40 of 101

I'm not married but my Dad always said, he'd pay me to elope. Oh yeah....he also always said to marry for money! What a nerd....

I always told HIM....that I'd have MY OWN MONEY!!!! eh eh eh!

Honestly though, if you can learn to smooth a cake, going for a casual or sweet/delicate looking cake would be easy with a stand. My very first wedding cake I made was on a floating tier stand. It was a backyard wedding. Don't cringe....but I arranged greenery with tiny light yellow and lavender rose buds all around the stand and on the table. The cake finish was done with the back of a spoon...soft waves. So, no smoothing even required here... The bride was "understated - girly" so it was perfect.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:43pm
post #41 of 101

here in farmland, I routinely do cake for 400 plus. I guess that's why I'd figure most wouldn't want more cake than they need.
I was at a wedding this weekend where I did the cake and the bride insisted she only wanted 252 servings for a 350 person wedding, because "not everyone is coming, and not everyone will eat cake." Well, pretty much everyone came.
So I'm sitting at the table watching the slideshow after dinner and I get the TINIEST piece of cake ever! I was mortified. The hall cut that thing up to feed 350 and everyone got cake, whether they wanted it or not. It was good- the half mouthful I got anyway.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:47pm
post #42 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by AileenGP

Quote:

My aunt got just such a request...apparently the customer wants a 5 tier cake to serve 50-75 people for her parents' 50th anniversary and wanted to pay around 150-200... my aunt called me about it and I couldn't help but start laughing hysterically.

When I got married, we only had 250 people but my aunt, who made the cake, wanted people to have a big slice since it was a light chiffon cake so she made enough for almost 400 + an extra half sheet kitchen cake if you would believe it. We had so much left over, but it tasted so amazing that even the servers asked if they could take some cake home and begged to know who we bought it from. After all was said and done, we still had the bottom 16" square tier left and took it home for the brunch the next day and it was all eaten.

To this day people still talk about the food and the cake at our wedding...the 2 things I refused to compromise on (DH is a chef so everyone was expecting a certain quality of food)

These "money saving" articles (some of which I'm guilty of following) causes brides to feel like every single vendor is out to cheat them of their money.

I hope you got the recipe! It sounds delightful!

AileenGP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AileenGP Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:17pm
post #43 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

I hope you got the recipe! It sounds delightful!

It's a filipino style chiffon cake and I had her add a hint of lemon to it, and the filling was a yummy cheesecake mousse (my recipe) and the outside was Pastry Pride (I wanted a light cake because our wedding was in the summer and unfortunately there is NO WAY this cake will hold up to fondant - ask me how I know icon_redface.gif)

You know, she wrote the recipe down for me but since she does it from memory, she doesn't have the method written down and I can't for the life of me get it to work. It's been a while since I've actually watched her bake in order for me to write it down since I moved about 150 miles away.

I have to get her to make a cake when she's visiting in 2 weeks for DD's birthday, if only to write down the method.

I'll ask her if it's okay to post it and share =)

Younique_designs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Younique_designs Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:09pm
post #44 of 101

I have to agree that photography, food and cake should be tops on the list! I love my wedding pictures and look at them often! A friend of mine, who was a cake decorater at the time made my 3-tier bc covered cake, with burgundy roses and lily of the valley covering it and my chocolate grooms cake as our wedding gift. They were awesome and now that I do cakes, I realize how much time, effort and money she really put into them! We hired my SIL's sister to do the food, she is a caterer. And to this day, 9 years later, people still talk about how good the food was! I still try to make the smothered chicken at home, but can't get it as good as hers! Hey, I'm a baker not a cook! lol!

I found my dress on clearance at David's Bridal, plus I had a coupon! Ended up only paying about $250! It was beautiful, I thought, good enough to walk down the aisle without breaking my parents!

But, to each his own! I think that what is important to me may not be important to someone else! Oh, and entertainment! Entertainment is important! Our DJ sucked! Hire someone who is gonna' get out there and shake his groove thing with everyone else! lol! Not a bump on a log who is just good at changing a cd!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 9:09pm
post #45 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by AileenGP

Quote:

... When I got married, we only had 250 people but my aunt, who made the cake, wanted people to have a big slice since it was a light chiffon cake so she made enough for almost 400 + an extra half sheet kitchen cake if you would believe it. We had so much left over, but it tasted so amazing that even the servers asked if they could take some cake home and begged to know who we bought it from. After all was said and done, we still had the bottom 16" square tier left and took it home for the brunch the next day and it was all eaten.

To this day people still talk about the food and the cake at our wedding...the 2 things I refused to compromise on (DH is a chef so everyone was expecting a certain quality of food)...

Yes, for us it was also the food and cake.

75 guests and enough cake to feed 600 - 700...
We've been married for 4 decades, and people still talk about being able to take that big hunk of cake home.
-

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 11:36pm
post #46 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Younique_designs

I have to agree that photography, food and cake should be tops on the list! I love my wedding pictures and look at them often! A friend of mine, who was a cake decorater at the time made my 3-tier bc covered cake, with burgundy roses and lily of the valley covering it and my chocolate grooms cake as our wedding gift. They were awesome and now that I do cakes, I realize how much time, effort and money she really put into them! We hired my SIL's sister to do the food, she is a caterer. And to this day, 9 years later, people still talk about how good the food was! I still try to make the smothered chicken at home, but can't get it as good as hers! Hey, I'm a baker not a cook! lol!

I found my dress on clearance at David's Bridal, plus I had a coupon! Ended up only paying about $250! It was beautiful, I thought, good enough to walk down the aisle without breaking my parents!

But, to each his own! I think that what is important to me may not be important to someone else! Oh, and entertainment! Entertainment is important! Our DJ sucked! Hire someone who is gonna' get out there and shake his groove thing with everyone else! lol! Not a bump on a log who is just good at changing a cd!

Ha - you know what a "good" DJ costs these day? We cut it down to 1700.00. I nearly fainted - talk about sticker shock!!! They need to address that in the article!

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:53am
post #47 of 101

There's the saying... "Better more than enough food than not enough"... In all seriousness, I'd rather be at the reception that ordered enough cake for 300 and only 100 guests than the one that ordered enough cake for 100 and had 300 guests... No one will ever complain about the option of seconds but they will complain and leave early if their bellies aren't full at the end of the meal... I still remember the wedding that I got the half slice of sheet cake at our table while everyone else got a full slice of filled cake... Flowers, meal, dress, etc. nada... but the fact that I got the "cheap" slice (they actually paid more per inch for my itsy bitsy slice - 3.25 - than they did for the full slice of cake - 3.50 -), you betcha I remember that from their wedding...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 6:41am
post #48 of 101

I've actually used that exact photo of the cake in a comparison flyer .... I show a paint-by-number and a Van Gogh, with the heading "Same ingredients". I show a pottery bowl and The Statue of David, with the heading "Both made of stone". I show this DIY cake and I show a cake masterpiece with the heading "It's just flour and eggs". And the final heading ...."Yeah ... it DOES make a difference!"

And the "how to piss off your vendor" sounds REAL interesting! icon_rolleyes.gif

Re: the bride who is charging $10 for her guests to attend? I cant remember where I heard it (and it might have been on here or on www.etiquettehell.com) but a bride set up a cash box next to the cake table and charged each guest $5 for a slice of cake! icon_surprised.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:07pm
post #49 of 101

Debi, I remember talking about the ten dollar one... I think it was from etiquettehell, but we were discussing it here. The cake one is new for me though. I'd have handed her a twenty, then slapped four pieces on one plate and smashed right in her greedy little face. If you can't afford a big wedding... freakin' elope. I have friends who started their marriages with 30k of debt for the wedding... guess which laster longer, the loan or the marriage?

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 1:02pm
post #50 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younique_designs

Oh, and entertainment! Entertainment is important! Our DJ sucked! Hire someone who is gonna' get out there and shake his groove thing with everyone else! lol! Not a bump on a log who is just good at changing a cd!

Ha - you know what a "good" DJ costs these day? We cut it down to 1700.00. I nearly fainted - talk about sticker shock!!! They need to address that in the article!

Even as a cake decorator and "foodie" I think entertainment is at the top of the list. I had a "big, fat, Greek wedding" with a band and 27 years later people STILL remember how much fun they had, not what they ate. The last wedding I went to was in a gorgeous (pricey) venue, the bride was stunningly attired, the wedding party was huge, the food was good, the cake was lovely ( icon_wink.gif I made it) but there was NO entertainment, no DJ, no music, the only thing to do was watch the head table eat. It was the most boring wedding DH and I have ever attended and THATS what we remember.

Kitagrl Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 1:35pm
post #51 of 101

I guess this just shows how everyone has different personal priorities.

WHICH

Means people shouldn't be writing articles telling people what budget areas to cut. Because people should cut what's not as important to THEM and spend more on what they feel IS important.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 2:05pm
post #52 of 101

How we saved money at our wedding....We got married on Friday night after dinner. The food and yes the cake were done by the high school culinary class (they consistently win awards for their food and it was fantastic and beautiful) The cake was done for cost (I wanted a non-traditional one) and the appetizers were less than half what they would have been. We had the wedding and reception at a B&B, since we had to rent the entire place our family all stayed in the rooms and they paid for their own rooms. Our DJ wanted a surcharge so they could rent a tux, dh didn't wear one-no reason for the dj to (this is what I would change now-I would just make a playlist on my iPod and use that, at least I know I would get the music I requested which I did not at my wedding). I had my dress made, cost $250, perfect. The photographer was a photo journalism student-so our photos look like celebrity snaps, my brother had just done the formal wedding thing a couple of months before so no need for those. People still talk about how beautiful it was, and I love the photos so much more than I would if we were all standing in a stiff line.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:17pm
post #53 of 101

I've been to three weddings that didn't hire a DJ or other form of entertainment, I think the key determining factor there is how "fun" the couple is and do they provide something to "do"... In one case, the couple did the Ipod/computer music and though they had songs they wanted to hear, none of the guests had any music to dance to or traditional music that anyone knew the lyrics to for that matter... The second was at the Hilton and everyone left the second dinner was over because there was NOthing to keep people around after the undercooked dinner... The third, the couple put some games on a few of the tables, gave kids activitiy bags, and was in the middle of the day in an AC building of a large park (aka spent the least of the three)... Guess which one people actually had fun at and stuck around for.. No one was playing games, but the third relaxed couple was the one that the atmosphere was set for a good time (and LOTS of cookies for dessert LOL). It's something our priest pointed out to us before our wedding, if the bridal party are having a great time others are goin to feed off of it.

ccc407 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccc407 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 6:02pm
post #54 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana183

I would not want this cake at my wedding even if I had made it myself.

http://weddings.about.com/od/weddingcakesfoodmenus/ss/decoweddingcake_10.htm

Quote:
Quote:

Ugly cake!!! And, who made up those ridiculous time frames on each step of creating that cake...obviously they've never made a cake before, even one as amature looking as that.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 7:23pm
post #55 of 101
Quote:

that would be the people that i do wedding cakes for. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif One bride said, "everyone will eat three pieces or more, guaranteed. she was right. not only did they eat the whole cake.. WE RAN OUT !!

another cake I did, eveyone wanted a small piece to take home for later. I provided little take home boxes just for this occasion. That bride knew her guests well too.

another cake... some guys came up and said, we need some pieces of cake..i start to cut..nope they need a bigger piece..and bigger.. it ended up being almost too big for the cake plates.. one 14 inch cake got divided up into about 8 pieces. YAH !!! icon_eek.gif It was the grooms 17 year old brother and about 7 other football buddies.. they ate every bite and came back for more !! I thought the groom was nuts when he said, we need LOTS of cake, you dont know my brother and friends. icon_lol.gif

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 9:39pm
post #56 of 101
Quote:

WHICH

Means people shouldn't be writing articles telling people what budget areas to cut. Because people should cut what's not as important to THEM and spend more on what they feel IS important.

I did read one article that helped me plan my wedding - it didn't tell you what to cut from the budget, it actually gave you some idea of what things cost. So we went through that and worked out what was important to us - and we knew before we approached vendors what to expect so we didn't rock up and expect the moon on a stick for $50!

Younique_designs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Younique_designs Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 9:50pm
post #57 of 101

Well said Kitagirl!

Everyone does have their own set of what is important to them!
I had little scrolls with a poem and our names and date on them at my wedding! Big waste, but I got pulled into all the neat stuff and thought they were so cute! Ended up throwing most of them away, because people left them on the tables! lol! Now, I advise against anything like that! An edible favor or something guests can actually use is def the way to go and a much wiser use of money! But, there again, just my opinion! lol!

My dress wasn't "that" important to me either. I was already getting everything I wanted in my husband, he's all I ever wanted. I just wanted my guests to be happy and have a good time, that's why I was so dissappointed in the DJ, but they still had a good time! Good food and good cake! I guess it all depends on what you expect your wedding to be!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 11:49pm
post #58 of 101
Quote:

WHICH

WHAT!?!?! How DARE you try and tell people they can think something other than what I tell them!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?! *snork* Sorry. Had to go there. We've got to nip this 'free thinking' junk in the bud, quick!

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 12:51am
post #59 of 101

I read an article the other day regarding a similar topic. I forgot the name of the website. The author talked about ways to save money, and of course the cake was first on the list. She said that cake was just food and is going to be eaten anyway. Why spend an excessive amount of money on something that is only going to be consumed by the guests? icon_eek.gif My first thought was the dinner is "just food" that is also going to be consumed by the guests. Wouldn't the same logic apply to that as well? Why spend so much money on food and catering?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:00am
post #60 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC

My first thought was the dinner is "just food" that is also going to be consumed by the guests. Wouldn't the same logic apply to that as well? Why spend so much money on food and catering?

So true!!

And speaking of "it's just food!", when my oldest was a little tyke, I was talking to co-workers about a new sitter I'd found, who was involved in a program that reimbursed her for her daycare food expenses if she served hot, healthy meals. So my kid got things like fried chicken and mac-n-cheese and green beans for lunch everyday ..... a "babysitter" meal that was unheard of "back in the day".

A co-worker got a little snotty and said, "Peanut butter is healthy!" So I told her, "Ok..... you and your family come to my house for dinner next weekend. They'll get my awesome fried chicken and I'll make you a peanut butter sandwich. I mean .... geesh .... if it's "all the same!"" icon_rolleyes.gif

She thought I was being a smart-a$$. Which I was .... I began honing those skills years and years ago! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%