Would Love A Filling That Does Not Need To Be Refrigerated.

Baking By Rach80 Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 3:53am by GIAcakes

Rach80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach80 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 10

Anyone know of a good filling that does not have to be refridgerated after the cake is done? I am doing a wedding cake for a beach wedding and I know there will not be a large enough fridge at the venu to keep the cake chilled. The cake will be in air conditioning... Plus it would be eaiser if I could complete it the night before and not have to chill it as well.

9 replies
Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 10

I don't have any answers for you...All I have ever done is filling with a fruit jam/jelly mixed with buttercream...or a buttercream filling. I never refridgerate my cakes.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 10

2 c. liquid Rich's Bettercreme
1/2 c. milk
1 box instant pudding mix (dry mix)

my favorite is cheesecake
could do white chocolate
vanilla
chocolate
pistaschio
butterscotch
you name it!

whip all the above ingredients together until you get stiff peeks, it's fine at room temp. for up to 5 days and it's DELICIOUS!!!

CakeMommyJeni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyJeni Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 10

Buttercream normally does not need to be refrigerated. If you use an all shortening based buttercream without real butter then there should not be a melting problem, but if it is for a filling it should be just fine.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 10

Buttercream, jams/jelly/preserves, thick ice cream toppings, nutella, dulce de leche...

There are also fillings that come in plastic sleeves that are made for cakes that don't have to be kept in the fridge.

erin12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin12345 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 10

What type of milk do you use? Would skim be OK?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:53pm
post #7 of 10

yep, I've even used water when I was out of milk........didn't notice much of a difference it was still delicious!

shana102083 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shana102083 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 12:43am
post #8 of 10

KHalstead- I was just wondering if the recipe you posted using the pudding mix stays thick? I am too looking for a recipe for filling that does not need to stay chilled. I found a chocolate butter cream recipe that was good and as long as it is chilled it stays thick but when left out it turns soupy and soaks into the cake.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 12:52am
post #9 of 10

I always wonder about that whole refrigeration thing.....I know where I work, we may have 12 wedding cakes on a Saturday and start delivering at 3. I, myself have never had a cold piece of wedding cake at the reception....have you? LOL... I never noticed the cakes I ate at a reception weren't cold until I became a decorator. Makes ya wonder, huh?

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:53am
post #10 of 10

I do a chocolate pudding filling. It is a small box of choco pudding, 1 cup of cold water and 1 can of sweetened condensed milk. It thickens up too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%